1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys!
Just for the pleasure to share with you I post a couple of pictures of my two Liberators. As you can see, they are almost mint and totally unaltered: no added odd serial numbers and so. Not too much story behind them: I got both from Sarco in the early 70s, when for a collector things were easier and better than today...I was lucky not only because I found them in minty untouched condition, but also because I had the two well known variations of this little beast: the three holes and the four holes example.
I think that this is one of the most unattractive pistol ever made, but there is a lot of history behind them, so...why not? In another thread, some time ago, I posted my experience in shooting a Liberator (not one of these...). Amaizing, indeed... Thanks for your attention.
Fausto

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Very nice to share. Interesting oddities and history. I recall seeing one years ago and turning my nose up at it. I shouldn't have... ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nice to have unmessed with examples.

Any Liberator pistols in Canada have had a serial number added so that they can be registered in our federal system required for all handguns. Therby altering them from original. :(

NAA.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Nice. Do you have the box and instruction sheet for either?

I fired one of these once. I have no desire to do so again. The bolt tends to blow back upon firing and trap the web of your hand. After just one shot I quickly learned to hold it very low. Accuracy was also beyond hopeless, with the bullet tumbling right after leaving the muzzle and resulting in an effective range of only about 10 feet.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
the zip gun was designed to be pressed up against someone's back or belly and fired. That would reduce muzzle flip and ensure a devastating wound. It was a gun to get a gun in other words kill an armed German soldier and take his rifle/pistol. Sounds great but you had to get awful close and it basically needed to be a German soldier by himself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Thanks guys! Thanks to you all for your opinions and comments. No, DSK, I don't have neither the box nor the ejecting rod or the original ammo box. I just got many years ago an instruction sheet from my dearest friend Bill Drollinger. At that time we were both convinced that it was original: good "old" paper and perfect drawings. But years later we discovered thanks to the fine Hagan's book that these sheets, when original, should show a water mark. Mine has no marks...
I fired some rounds many years ago with another Liberator not so nice as the ones pictured (just some rust on that). It was amaizing... And, yes, each shot the bolt came back and remained hooked (not armed) on the right or on the left of the frame. Not to mention that after three or four rounds the whole gear got a little "loose" but still working. That convinced me that it was an expendable gun indeed. As for the accuracy, at 10 feet near all bullets left keyholes on the large wooden board I was shooting to... I must admit that the recoil was not so devastating as expected. Not pleasant but affordable. An experience to be remembered but not to be repeated...Thanks again.
Fausto

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great looking pistols you've got there. Thanks for sharing them.

I have Ralph Hagen's Liberator book, too, and I enjoyed it very much. If anyone wants one, his widow sells it by mail order at the following address:

http://home.pacbell.net/rlhag65/index.html

One thing I learned from the book is that there's only one documented fatality caused by the FP-45 (Liberator) pistol, and that was an inpection foreman at GM's Guide Lamp Division factory during the production run. He picked up a loaded pistol to inspect and accidentally shot himself in the abdomen.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Everybody else around him was probably out of range, so that figures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts