1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When re-assembling my Protector Compact last weekend, I noticed that after tightening the two piece guide rod, the slide would not function. When I loosened the guide rod slightly, the slide functioned properly.

The other 45 I have with a two piece guide rod requires that the guide rod be as tight as you can get it (and sometimes requires loctite) to prevent it from coming loose.

Is this a problem I should contact Wilson about, or is this OK?

The gun shoots extremely well, so I don't want to mess it up.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with mine. What you are actually doing when you tighten it up, is slightly turning the head of the guide rod out of position and binding it against the inside of the slide. When you turn it backwards slightly it goes back to it's normal position. The problem I had was that when turning it back, it would slightly loosen the two sections, and turning it enough to tighten it to the point that it would not do this was binding it a LOT, and not something I was comfortable doing.

I ordered a one piece guide rod from Kimber that goes in their compacts, and use it now. Works like a champ! A couple thousand rounds since I made the switch with no problems at all.

BT

·
Registered
770 Posts
When yo uinstall the 2 peice guid rod, do not German Torque it. just a little past snug is all you need. The sheet that comes with the 2 peice guid rod states this.
It is designed to be self tightening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Tim. I called Wilson's and that's what I found out. My kit didn't include any sheet with the guide rod.
Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
164 Posts
how tight...

how tight should a 2 piece allen wrench type guide rod be? hand tight? a little more than that? i would really love to only have to tighten it w/my hand as i hate to have to use tools to field strip my weapons.

anyone?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: how tight...

SkaerE said:
how tight should a 2 piece allen wrench type guide rod be? hand tight? a little more than that? i would really love to only have to tighten it w/my hand as i hate to have to use tools to field strip my weapons.

anyone?
I have replaced all of my 2 pc. FLGRs with Wilson 1 pc. FLGRs. No tools to field strip and the risk of losing that stupid allen wrench is no longer a worry. Now on my full size Gov't model SA Pro that is a "work gun", I prefer the short rod and old style plug so as to make clearing a malf. easier. Hope that helps. Bye the way, not trying to get any old debates going again.:rolleyes: :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts