1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got registered. No longer will I post under my dad's username. Anyways, my questions. Is my SA Mil-Spec a Series 70 or 80? I know there are topics already out there about this, but Im lazy and have heard some conflicting stories. See, I heard that if you pull the trigger and the hammer drops from the half-cock position, thats its a Series 80. But then I keep hearing about all the extra pieces and disassembly hassles the Series 80's extra safety features have... my pistol is really easy to disassemble, so Im confused. Second question; when I chamber a round from the magazine and eject the magazine to top it off with another round, the top round in the magazine has been pushed forward a little bit, should this happen? Its usually been pushed forward about 1/4" to 3/8" more than the rest of the rounds in the magazine, I just dont know if this is normal or not so I figured this would be the place to ask. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yes David...that's normal. That second round will drag forward a bit as the top round is being chambered by the slide.
You can look at the hammer on the pistol to see if the half-cock is a "notch" that captures the sear or a "ledge" that merely stops it. Ledge means series 80.

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
As far as I know, SA does not manufacture S80 pistols. All SA 1911'a are S70. Some parts as Bob noted could be S80 parts (or not "true" S70 parts), but the main difference is that S70 pistol does not contain firing pin block parts that prevent FP movement without trigger pool. However, S70 pistol should accept all common S80 parts such as hammer, extractor, FP stop wthout any problem.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 is not a Series 80 - that is a Colt design and trademark - and does not have any other form of firing pin block such as Kimber Series II, SW1911, or SIG GSR.

It DOES have the ILS key lock built into the mainspring housing and a titanium firing pin with stiff spring to meet drop tests more severe than original US Government requirements. Neither of those affects field stripping.

It does NOT have a half cock notch on the hammer. It has a stop ledge like a Colt.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
David, those titanium pins did the job for SA, but if you start getting light strikes, I'd recommend you drill out the tunnel and install a .45 steel firing pin. The SA's are .070 OD and the .45's are about .089...you get a much larger strike with the 45 pin and the steel ones will fire with less mainspring pressure.
Not a big deal...there are a bunch of .45 caliber pistols out there using 9mm firing pins and they 'usually' work just fine. But every .45 I build gets a .45 pin, just like JMB figured it should!

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts