1911Forum banner

Two Single Magpouches instead of One Double?

1642 Views 15 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  williamlayton
I had a buddy tell me he prefers two singles over one double magpouch because they print less.

Does anyone here carry two singles instead of a double??
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7,595 Posts
The Tactical Banjo Man has come back!!!

I find them to be more adaptable since I can position the two pouches so they don't print as much. Or they don't poke the over hang as much.

P.S. Check your PMs.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
me, too

I prefer two singles, also. The double I have seems to "stick out" more. I usually carry only one extra mag, though.

· Registered
170 Posts
I use two single mag pouches as well. They print less and are more versatile with the various belt loop interference of your pants. You also have the option of going with one or two depending on your rig strategy for the day.

· Registered
3,432 Posts
Two single pouches are always more comfortable and concealable for me than a bulky double mag pouch, whether made of leather or Kydex.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,408 Posts
I had an incident recently, where I had two singles together, and ther rear one rocked forward so that when I drew the forward mag, I also grabbed the toe of the rear one. When I pulled up, both mags came out. Making sure they fit tightly on the belt would prevent this, but these pouches were tight, not too long ago, but the fit has loosened. A double pouch prevents the two mags from moving in relation to each other, an that's not always a bad thing.

· Registered
99 Posts
Funny you should ask Skunk, I was just thinking of getting my next mag holders for my single stack super in 2 singles. For idpa I have trouble on the rare ocassion-getting the 2nd mag out in a timely manor. I am putting one right on the side and one to the rear so I dont hit one going for the other. I also think its easier to dump the mag into the pocket with a single carrier on the belt rather then a double. Covers a little easier to me. As with most things in guns and equip its user preference.

You got any more 32 inch belts for sale yet?

· Vendor
1,503 Posts
Mag pouches

Gary Brommeland has a great idea for angleing your mags forward to position them for crouching when the hips rotate back. They are usually worn weak side behind the hip a bit.

Tucker's single and double back-angled pouches are very concealable and, I assert from experience, faster on reloads for many - as long as you stay upright.

They don't work well without practice when crouching as the hips increase the back angle more.

These are set as they would be worn on the left hip by a right-handed shooter.

· Registered
30 Posts
IWB Mag pouches

What has your experience been with IWB mag holders?

My guess is that they jab you more with little gain in concealability. I have been trying to figure out which kind to get for extra magazines for concealability.

Just looking for some input from experience.

· Registered
1,400 Posts
I used to think 2 singles are the way to go ... that was until I bought a double from Rafters. It hugs my side and is easy to draw from. Oh, and the price was excellent and workmanship top-notch ... not surprising from Rafters.

· Registered
171 Posts
just settled the last component of my new rig with Della at Rafter S. I had originally ordered a double mag pouch. She suggested two singles. She says that's what she and Steve wear....and that most of their customers do the same.
Good enough for me. I changed my order to two single mag pouches.....clip on type. Per owner/maker suggestion.

· Registered
475 Posts
Skunk, I purchased some single, kydex owb mag pouches from Comp-tac that perform well. They are adjustable for tension, use a good quality, thickness of kydex, exhibit no sharp edges (they're all rounded very nicely), and have a nice style clip that makes it easy to clip on ... and take off. I questioned the clip until I used it, very, very secure, and easy to remove. Additionally, they are available in different angles, just ask when ordering. Dave Spaulding (from many magazines, Guns & Weapons for LE being one) wrote up an article regarding these mag pouches a year or so ago. A couple Master class IDPA shooters at my local club were using them (along with a Comp-tac holster) and they gave them good reviews.

Dave Spaulding's article (if I can recall) was on the different angles that magazines could be placed to speed removal. IPSC shooters have obviously done all the research on this (to the n'degree!) but in my own quick testing - mags that are positioned at the point of my hip and forward (towards 12 0'clock) withdraw easier (for me and my body style - 6'1" 160lbs) if they are angled pointed towards the rear coming out of the pouch. Mags positioned behind the 9 0'clock are better angled towards the front. Comp-tac will do special orders in kydex according to your "angled" needs, and I don't believe there's a much longer wait.

RickB has a good point, and one that can certainly happen. Equipment can shift on your belt. [email protected] can happen.

EricO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.