1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any production level two tone Springers??? I have seen the two tone Custom Shop Springers. I may still consider getting either a Stainless Mil-Spec or Loaded next year, but was curious about a two tone.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've heard there's a two-tone lightweight full-size (5") 1911 from Springfield, but I haven't seen it in the online catalog.

Andy

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
You could always get a stainless gun and have the slide refinished in a black polymer. OR you could get a carbon steel gun and have the frame and small parts hardchromed.

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
Or buy one of each and swap the tops. ;)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, what are the current SA barrels, one piece or two piece??? I'd read they were at least at one time made from two pieces and then welded together, true???

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if it's possible could someone list what parts are forged, barstock, mim, cast etc.??? And please no guesses, I'm seeking the truth and don't want this thread to become a debate over the advantage of barstock over cast over mim, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the full size Bi-Tone Loaded. There is also a compact Bi-Tone (I have seen that one at stores). The frame itself is very light, so the gun is noticeably lighter. It is a touch more expensive than a stainless model- I think my local store had a $40 price difference, but when I bought the Bi-Tone the stainless wasn't in stock (had it been, I prob. would have bought the stainless). There are details on the gun in the press releases (look for the release around July 2003), but I don't know why they haven't put it in the online catalog.

It shoots quite well, but the light weight does mean it kicks a touch more than a "normal" 1911. I installed Hogue soft rubber grips, and those helped make it more manageable for me. It shoots quite accurately- more accurately then the shooter in my case.

From what the press release says, the full size Bi-Tone is pretty much identical to a "normal" full size loaded model except for the aluminum alloy frame. Attached is a photo of mine (before I added the grips, so this is factory stock).

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
I, too, have one of these animals. The gun has a very nice trigger pull: about 4.5 pounds, no creep at all. The gun weighs 30 oz. empty, and has been flawless at around 300 rounds so far. It feeds JHP's with confidence, and has been quite accurate with all loads tried (I generally shoot 230 grain ball reloads). The barrel has a RAMP, rather than a THROAT, to enhance feeding. The gun shoots to POA, and I have had nothing done to it. The grips are very attractive checkered cocobolo; the frame a black anodized aluminum alloy, which is a nice contrast to the stainless slide.

The gun has also not been the slightest bit picky when it comes to different mags. I use 6 different kinds of mags, and it seems to like them all, even the CMC 8-rd Shooting Stars. (My all-stainless SA target 1911 will not accept the CMC mags). The LW Bi-Tone went for about 80 bucks more than the stainless target job; it weighs 8 oz. less. I personally don't have any problem with the recoil of this light-weight gun. But I'm also used to shooting a Ruger P97 and a SIG 220, both of which weigh the same: 30 oz. empty.

I highly recommend the SA Lightweight Bi-Tone Loaded pistol. Get one today!

Lecter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts