1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, I’m hoping to get some clarification on what I have here... I picked this up at a local gun store some time ago for about $700. I was wondering if it is an original type 1 Remington Rand from 1942 or so...? I’ll post some pictures of everything. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It is a very early, original du lite finish pistol shipped as one of approximately 9007 pistols in January 1943. Estimated serial numbers shipped were 921674-930680. The pistol is not "rare" but it is certainly an unusual find and very well bought.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Ohmygosh! That thing is in incredible condition and for $700!!!
May I recommend that you do a detailed disassembly, inspection of parts and wipe that beauty down with a soft cotton rag and Hoppes then dry it well and use something like www.CorrosionX.com on it.

WOW!

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Congrats you got a pretty nice REMRAND at a very good price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replies. Here are some better pics of it. I’m wondering if there was a way to tell if everything is original to the gun, barrel, magazine (no markings) etc. The finish seems to be is a little darker on the barrel than the rest of the gun... Perhaps a replacement? Also, what price range do these normally sell for these days? Not interested in selling at this time, just curious why $700 was a good deal when I bought it F6604E9C-007F-4054-9348-B41EEFE6C02D_1575051879716.jpeg F6604E9C-007F-4054-9348-B41EEFE6C02D_1575051879716.jpeg ? 😊 Thank again.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I do have another 1911, what I believe to be another Remington Rand, but it’s a rather paculiar piece... It looks almost exactly like my other one, but.....most all the markings are gone... I’m not sure where to go with this one, perhaps it was sold to another allied country during WWII, used, then we got it back and put another serial number on it? Has anyone ever come across this before? Thank you again I’m advance.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Wow that one is the true definition of a "Truck Gun"!

I am not sure but that Serial Number looks sketchy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Beat up old gun- High Standard barrel, Keyes grips, could be an Ithaca slide stop, probably a Colt MSH. Probably an Ithaca receiver due to the large " 5 " digit on the right side of the trigger guard. Ithaca marked pistols like that. Serial number obviously some sort of re-stamp.

·
Administrator
72,412 Posts
If a gun-savvy ATF agent saw that one he would confiscate it, because whatever original serial number it had has been obliterated and replaced with another one which is legally is a huge no-no. Unfortunately lots of guns like this are floating around, and the only good news is that ATF usually has bigger fish to fry, so as long as you don't get into trouble for something else the chances of anyone finding out are slim.

As for the first pistol, I agree you won the gun lottery on that one. Leave it alone as the parts on it are likely original. There was a lot of variation with the parts on early Remington Rands because they were out-sourcing a lot of it as they tried to ramp up production.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for your replies. Yes, very sketchy but I wasn't aware when I bought it, simply being a newbie collector several years ago. I got it online from G/B and they sent it to my local dealer. He didn't ask any questions, just wrote the serial number down and it checked out. Very strange, indeed... Thanks for all the input on this.

·
Premium Member
15,214 Posts
'The finish seems to be is a little darker on the barrel than the rest of the gun... Perhaps a replacement?'

Barrel finish is correct. Remember, barrels and some other parts were made by different makers than the gun and have different finishes. The barrels were blued over a 'mill finish' and the slide and frame in this case were blued with 'Dulite' over a different finish, resulting in different colors and textures. This is one way we determine an original gun. If High Standard barrels are known to be used in the early RRs, it probably is original, but I know there were also other barrels used, like some Colt transfers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks shooter5! Luck was all it was for sure... Been out of the loop for a while, but what does that mean, that an old remington is still in use with DOD?

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
Thanks shooter5! Luck was all it was for sure... Been out of the loop for a while, but what does that mean, that an old remington is still in use with DOD?
It means that it's in the US ARMY's current inventory and sitting in an armory ready to be used by a Soldier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts