1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good feel for typical types of jambing and what causes each particular type of situation? I don't have a great deal of experience with 1911's, but have noticed that the colder weather causes a certain type of jambing in my guns (45 CBOB, 45 PM 7 & PM 9). Thanks for any enlightenment.

Chris

·
Registered
535 Posts
Somebody should be along to give you a decent answer to your question but with regards to cold weather and a certain .45 CBOB that is very near and dear to me I did experience malfunctions once at about 17 degrees. That is really the only time I had issues with the pistol other than when I think I was riding the slidestop.

I had applied an excess of Tetra gun grease to the rails and after cleaning it off and going back to a light oil the cold wasn't an issue other than to the operator. It is hard to duplicate the accuracy the magazines claim at 17 degrees offhand ya know.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jambs in the cold

What seems to go to crap in the cold is my eyesight. I notice that with the cold wind, my eyes water and don't focus as well on both the sights and the target. Maybe I should just watch T.V. or read about shooting when its really cold? My guns do seem to jamb some when it's really cold out. I'll try them without the grease, just light oil, and see how that works.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Types of jambs: door jamb...traffic jam(b)...jambalaya...

Dude! Quit puttin' stinkin' grease on the pistol! That's what's causing yer dad-gum jam(b)s...

I'll try them without the grease, just light oil, and see how that works. Thanks, Chris
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

GREASE belongs in a car door...jamb...

Just use FP-10 and be done with it. My unauthorized opinion...no grease on the frame rails/slide ways of DW pistols, please! Even in the summer...

ETA: And...just use goggles when shooting in the extreme cold. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dude! Quit puttin' stinkin' grease on the pistol! That's what's causing yer dad-gum jam(b)s...
My unauthorized opinion...no grease on the frame rails/slide ways of DW pistols, please! Even in the summer...:)
That's what I figured out. Hard to break habits formed from running manually operated guns like SAA's and Leverguns. A little dab'll do ya don'tcha know?

I hope you don't lose respect for a guy that has to learn it the hard way for himself. At least I try to learn.

ETA: And...just use goggles when shooting in the extreme cold.
Now... COLD is probably something I am more readily familiar with. If not readily then certainly recently:biglaugh: But good tip nonetheless.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grease

Hey, I just had a really good idea; now that I have some extra grease on my hands, maybe I'll try some in my eyes. I suspect that I won't notice the cold anymore. I'll post my groups after I'm done shooting......if I can find them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts