1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a "ton" of TZZ brass that I've picked up over the years.
After depriming a few, I see no signs of a crimp (I assumed since it was military ammo, the primers pockets would be crimped.).

Looking at the primer cups, it looks no different than any other commercial stuff. Am I correct in assuming the TZZ brass is not crimped? Maybe some were at some time? Or is the crimp something that the average eye cannot notice?

What do you folks think of TZZ brass? I hear it's good reloading materiel. My friend has a Dillon pocket swager I can use when I need, so I guess if I have to I can swage a few hundred pockets from time to time.

I've heard that my 550B should have no problems priming this stuff even if there were crimped pockets. My buddy has a 650, and he says he never even worried about swaging the primer pockeds. His press deprimes and primes with no problems with the military crimp.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I`ve always seperated any military brass and slightly reamed the primer pocket and a RCBS case mouth reamer. Eliminates the crunch when priming. Bob

·
Registered
721 Posts
I also have a lot of TZZ brass and none of has crimped primers.

Some years ago, I was able to get a small amount of U.S. military TZZ 45ACP.

I find it to be comparable to Winchester WW milspec (Q4170) ammunition.

Some of this brass has been reloaded a dozen or more times now.

IMHO it's "good stuff".

Enjoy the 500b- mine has been going strong for 10+ years now without so much as a broken part.

Regards,

MAG-63

GO NAVY!

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
I buy once fired TZZ brass in quantity for loading. Strangely, although it is headstamped "Match" about 2/3 of it has crimped primers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TZZ is made by IMI. This is very good brass. It's one of my favorites after Winchester or Starline. I've used some for years.

·
Super Moderator
14,751 Posts
The 550 will NOT seat a primer (properly) in a case with a crimped primer ring that has not been previously "de-crimped". Possibly the 650 will de-crimp the primer pocket as part of the process, but the 550 does not do this. If you have brass with crimped primers it will have to be de-crimped prior to loading on the 550.

TZZ is excellent brass. If the cases you have are crimped, it's worth the time to de-crimp them.

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have a large batch of .45 TZZ Match (IMI) I got back in the mid 90's at Camp Perry. It is all crimped....just enough crimp that you need to remove it. I have different tools that I use but I have let it sit since I have lots of other brass to use first. All the IMI brass I have used has been good.
BTW, if you try to force a primer into a primer pocket that has a crimp-----it will deform the edges of the primer and possibly set it off if enough pressure and force is used. I have crushed many a primer in military crimped brass that got into my good stuff....
Experiment with the pockets----seat some primers in them and see if they have a crimp or not... You will be able to feel in the handle if they are crimped. If you have a hand tool---try that as well. Wear safety glasses!!! ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a couple of 20MM cans of TZZ headstamped 84 and 85. No primer crimps. I lose it before it wears out.

Eddie

·
Registered
516 Posts
TZZ brass is made by IMI
IMI is in Israel and stands for Israely Military Industries....or something to that effect.

Both IMI and TZZ brass is pretty decent. Some of the TZZ match stuff has a slight primer crimp

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
SO YOU KNOW

IMI cases, being thicker in the web area, offer reduced volume.

(This means use slightly less powder.)

Best.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had no trouble priming (or depriming) TZZ... :)
On the other hand, I've consistently had problems priming IMI. :mad:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone-
I have lots of other good comercial stuff too. The TZZ looks really "beefy". I'll swage em anyway, as I get the time. Mainly during football games ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
source for TZZ brass...

The attached link will take you to Wideners. I buy all my .45 brass from them. They sell IMI brass, no crimp, and very reasonable prices. Currently they have a large quantity of IMI .45 ACP Match in stock on sale for $69 a thousand, plus shipping. http://www.wideners.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts