1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I put 140 rounds thru my UC II. This would make the total around 590 rounds. Up until today, I have had maybe 0 FTE's and about 3 FTF's. different story today. My first 50 rounds were with Remington 230 fmj. First three mags were fine, but the next four had at least 2 FTE's. My next 50 rounds were with Federal american eagle 230 fmj. These were much better. only 1 FTE. The real problem came when I was testing some defense ammo. I shot 20 rounds of Cor-Bon powerball 165+P and 20 rounds of Cor-Bon DPX 185+P. I alternated 7 round mags and after the first 7 of each I had 1 FTE with the DPX and 3 FTE's with the Powerball. The next 2 mags with the powerball, every round did not extract, but with the rest of the DPX, I only had one FTE.

My question is does different ammo effect FTE's the same as with FTF's. I've read and experienced FTF's with different ammo, but not with extraction. It seems that it either extracts or doesn't. Not in this case. It looks like I will be contacting Kimber. Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck,
I also think the same of the powerball. I just want to try a few different types of defense ammo for reliabilty as my CCW card should be in hand by the new year. I haven't shot the others you mentioned, but I will try them. All my target ammo has been 230gr. I have shot fiocchi, Winchester win-Clean and Federal American Eagle with no problems. I'm just not sure if I should contact Kimber yet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
FTE's are common with the external extractor.

I had two Tactical Ultra II's. The first was a total dud and went to the factory three times for FTFs and FTEs because it couldn't get through 36 rounds without a FTE or FTF. The replacement was sent directly from the factory after being "tuned" by the Kimber "Custom" Shop. It had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS as the first one!

Read this. If yours has similar issues, have them addressed and get the replacement extractor. If you are lucky, the gun will run fine. Just make sure to test it alot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chuck,
I have removed the extractor a few times, every time I clean the gun, and have polished the hook. The last time I cleaned, I did not put any oil down the extractor tube. I figured that the extractor doesn't have that much movement, and oil would only collect more dirt in that area. Not sure if this would be a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
UCII Problem

In my experience, you need to change the small recoil spring every 500 to 600 rounds. It could also have to do some with the lube you are using. You will get as many different answers as to what to use as people you ask. I use a grease but use it very sparingly on the rails.
Also try Wilson mags.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
45akp said:
In my experience, you need to change the small recoil spring every 500 to 600 rounds. It could also have to do some with the lube you are using. You will get as many different answers as to what to use as people you ask. I use a grease but use it very sparingly on the rails.
Also try Wilson mags.
I have 5 wilson mags, and I use fp-10 for lube. Doesn't 500-600 rounds seem a liitle soon to change the recoil spring. I thought it was at least double that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Recoil Spring Change

It is longer than that according to Kimber. However, in my experience, it is best to change it every 500 to 600 rounds. Especially if it is your carry piece.
I keep two complete units. One to practice with and one to use when I carry. Try this and keep track of the rounds on the practice spring.
They are just $5.00 ea from Kimber. A small price to pay for reliability.
Some have went to Wolff springs and get more rounds out of these. I just havn't tried Wolff springs

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
45akp said:
It is longer than that according to Kimber. However, in my experience, it is best to change it every 500 to 600 rounds. Especially if it is your carry piece.
I keep two complete units. One to practice with and one to use when I carry. Try this and keep track of the rounds on the practice spring.
They are just $5.00 ea from Kimber. A small price to pay for reliability.
Some have went to Wolff springs and get more rounds out of these. I just havn't tried Wolff springs
I will certainly give it a try. I thought I read on this board somewhere that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with a lighter spring to help with feeding issues due to the short barrel. I know most people replace with a heavier spring on the longer barrels. I haven't had much of a feeding problen, I'm just curious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.