1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen only one GI in the stainless steel finish.
The areas of the finish that were matt had an uneven finish. The matt finish looked like camoflauge, with several different tones of the stainless steel color, some areas almost looked black. The matt finished looked like crap.It totally turned me off to the GI in stainless steel. Do all the stainless steel GIs look that bad?

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Every Springfield Armory stainless 1911 I've seen, other than the "Black Stainless" models which I just don't go for, have exhibited a very nice finish, bead blasted on the rounds, and polished on the flats. I think the gun you saw must have been used, and possibly was covered with grease and soot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Seraph could be right.
A brand-spankin new pistol will be covered in grease, then wrapped in plastic. So the dealer takes off the plastic wrap, and without wiping-down the pistol, puts it in the display case under the counter.
It'll look like crap, but just a cleaning will help out the looks tremendously.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seraph said:
Every Springfield Armory stainless 1911 I've seen, other than the "Black Stainless" models which I just don't go for, have exhibited a very nice finish, bead blasted on the rounds, and polished on the flats. I think the gun you saw must have been used, and possibly was covered with grease and soot.
This was a brand new gun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sikhed said:
Seraph could be right.
A brand-spankin new pistol will be covered in grease, then wrapped in plastic. So the dealer takes off the plastic wrap, and without wiping-down the pistol, puts it in the display case under the counter.
It'll look like crap, but just a cleaning will help out the looks tremendously.
It was a brand new gun, but there was no grease on it.

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
There is a good number of GI/SS pistols pictured in this forum . None are as described . We've sold dozens . None looked as described . Springfield wouldn't sell many/any as described . The store displaying it should send it back .

Take another look elsewhere . I think you'll be pleased . :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.