1911Forum banner

Ulta Carry and P+

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  CoastieN70 
#1 ·
I just purchased an SA Ultra Compact and the first time at the range experienced FTF and FTE as well as a slide which would not open on last round. The armorer at the range suggested switching ammo to a 147 grain P+ hollow point. This solved all of the previous problems but I am concerned with using P+ with this gun. Has anyone tried this ammo with this gun?

#2 ·
I would suggest shooting a couple hundred rounds of ball through it first, to see if it is reliable and to help break it in a little. If not reliable with ball, I would ship it back to SA. If it is reliable with ball, I would then start shopping around for a HP that was reliable in my weapon.

#3 ·
I'll second col132's suggestion. If it doesn't break in with ball, call SA and send it back for some work.

As to your question on +p ammo: I had similar problems with my ultra compact hicap. I switched to Remington 185gr. +p GS and that seemed to help functioning with no ill effects to the gun. It does however make second shot follow-up more difficult as muzzle flip is greatly increased.

You might ask some of the 'smiths here about changing recoil spring weight. The +p loads seem to lengthen cycle time a bit so perhaps a lighter recoil spring with std. pressure loads would work as well?

I tried it on my hicap, but didn't get enough range time to form a definite opinion before selling it (with original springs reinstalled of course).

Good luck,

Mac

#5 ·
I just purchased a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact (Lightweight) in 9mm. They just came out recently. If you ARE talking about the 9mm Ultra Compact (and I think the only SA 9mm Ultra Compact is a lightweight), the manual recommends/warns NOT to use p+ ammo.

I've used 3 brands of ball/range ammo (115 gr)and with no malfunctions. I can't yet get the FIRST round of hollowpoint ammo to feed but if the first round is ball ammo then all other rounds of hollowpoint will feed/fire. So I mix the hardball and hollowpoint in the mag and am working towards all hollowpoint after about 300-400 rounds. Even after the breakin period, I will not send the pistol to SA if it will not reliabily feed the hollowpoint because the gun is used only at the range with ball ammo anyway. Just wanted to see how it performed with hollowpoint.

Would be interested in knowing if the SA Ultra Compact in question is the 9mm or a different caliber.

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 09-04-2001).]

#6 ·
Originally posted by buzz_knox:
Are you sure you've got the grain of that round right? The Ultra Compact (Ultra Carry is a Kimber)is a .45, correct? At least, I've never heard of a 9mm Ultra Compact, and there is no 147 gr .45 round.

Good catch Buzz, I didn't see the bullet grain. Yes, Springfield started offering the ultra compact in 9mm this year. It's on my short list for next purchases.

Mac

#9 ·
Berger,

The frame is alloy.....

#11 ·
Yes, the slide is stainless.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.