1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
The CDP will run you about $1000. An Ultra Carry should be about $250 to $300 less.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
A cool grand after taxes. Dump the Kimber idea and get a Gold Cup Trophy.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
A cool grand after taxes. Dump the Kimber idea and get a Gold Cup Trophy.
Uhhh... Geee... I notice that everytime I turn around, your slamming Kimbers, and pumping Colts... Biased?

The Kimber is a decent piece, although I am personally not fond of the Ultra. It does serve a purpose, one I might add that the Gold Cup Trophy or other Full-Sized 1911's doesn't meet, it's compact.

I like the Compacts with the same grip, and longer barrel, personal preferences... YMMV.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here in my area all the models of the CDP are priced nearly the same. About $1000.00 should get the job done. If you get one cheaper good on ya.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
Uhhh... Geee... I notice that everytime I turn around, your slamming Kimbers, and pumping Colts... Biased?
Speaking as someone who owns both a Kimber and a Colt, I guess you could say I'm a tad bit biased towards the Colt. My Custom CDP is a good looking, light, straight shootin' .45, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't "jumped" in so soon. I could have had the real thing....

Live and learn. Next time, Gold Cup Trophy.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Johnny Rad wrote:
In my neck of the woods, I think $1K is a bit high by about $125
Hi John, just wondering if you have checked prices lately?

$875 for a new CDP is a very good price; I was able to get mine for just about that but my dealer was looking to renew is Master Dealer license & gave me a great bargain.

Around here (SW Pa), you can (or could in late winter 2001) find a CDP for about $950, beating the bushes a little would get you down to about $930 & if you really searched, you might get down to $900. Less than that was pretty hard to do, at least around here & I understand Kimber raised prices in the spring.
(edited for spelling, grammer, improper UBB code - geez, I need to go shoot or something..)

[This message has been edited by Kevinch (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Speaking as someone who owns both a Kimber and a Colt, I guess you could say I'm a tad bit biased towards the Colt. My Custom CDP is a good looking, light, straight shootin' .45, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't "jumped" in so soon. I could have had the real thing....

Live and learn. Next time, Gold Cup Trophy.
Well... Geee... I own both too, and a few other's... In fact, I have owned more than 20 Colt's, having purchased my first in the early 80's. They have even included a couple Gold Cup National Matches, but mostly, Commanders, and then, mostly LWT ones.

I'd say that while Kimber has some good points, and some bad, that the Custom CDP is a nice gun, and for the purpose it was designed to meet, it's hard to find one that excels beyond it. You can't really compare Apples to Oranges, the two target a different purpose, and the Ultra is even further out.

A Gold Cup trophy is not a LWT Full Size, Fixed Sight CCW gun. It is a great Match Gun, but then, it's not even up to the same level the Gold Cup National Match was in terms of fit/finish. Personally, IMHO, an Adjustable sight gun is not my choice for Hard Use, CCW. The rear sight is delicate enough to either get damaged, or change POA/POI, and it's not exactly Snag-Free. The Colt is also pretty sharp, especially compared to a CDP. Lastly, having carried guns for more than 12 hours a day over many years, I can honestly say that I welcome a 28-30oz gun, over a 38-40oz gun... That 1/2 pound begins to be noticed after about 4-6 hours.

Of course, I am guessing that you will find that the Gold Cup Trophy might be a better choice over the Mil-Spec Repro, and the prices aren't much different.

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE FROM JAYDEE Of course, I am guessing that you will find that the Gold Cup Trophy might be a better choice over the Mil-Spec Repro, and the prices aren't much different.END QUOTE

LOL!! You got me there. As much as I want a GCT, the reproduction just got under my skin. I HAD to have one. And you nailed it on the price too.

I also totally overlooked the different potential uses for each weapon. You're correct, the CDP is a pure-bred CCW piece that, dare I say, is really made to be carried lots and shot (relatively) little. In it's intended genre, the CDP is really top-shelf now that Colt is sadly out of the LW Commander business for the time being.

Kimber represents a marketing coup that took American shooting enthusiasts by storm. They are supplying quality products at a truly competitive price, and proving to be quite successful. The fact that almost every handgunner I know has (at least) one is a testimony to their lure.

Kimber also responds to consumer demand which is something that the arrogant people at Colt haven't done in decades. Besides, competition keeps companies honest and above board quality-wise.

Long live both sterling gunmakers!

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
QUOTE FROM JAYDEE Of course, I am guessing that you will find that the Gold Cup Trophy might be a better choice over the Mil-Spec Repro, and the prices aren't much different.END QUOTE

LOL!! You got me there. As much as I want a GCT, the reproduction just got under my skin. I HAD to have one. And you nailed it on the price too.

I also totally overlooked the different potential uses for each weapon. You're correct, the CDP is a pure-bred CCW piece that, dare I say, is really made to be carried lots and shot (relatively) little. In it's intended genre, the CDP is really top-shelf now that Colt is sadly out of the LW Commander business for the time being.

Kimber represents a marketing coup that took American shooting enthusiasts by storm. They are supplying quality products at a truly competitive price, and proving to be quite successful. The fact that almost every handgunner I know has (at least) one is a testimony to their lure.

Kimber also responds to consumer demand which is something that the arrogant people at Colt haven't done in decades. Besides, competition keeps companies honest and above board quality-wise.

Long live both sterling gunmakers!
Hey Harry... Ya like that huh???

The only thing I would mention though is the CDP's shooting... I personally would not be opposed to firing one a lot. While I understand it's an Alloy frame, I have had many Alloy Commander's, which survived HIGH round counts in excess of 20,000 rounds.

I would probably ensure I maintained it well, but I would definately shoot it, and shoot it often, they seem to be very nice examples of a 1911.

Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts