1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What happened to it that it got to that condition?
Ha!
20 years on the hip.
Don't notice the change from day to day, shot it every couple months or so and cleaned, changed the recoil and hammer springs one other time, always shot great but the other day I think it was Mosin that pointed out it needed some love. First time using gloss, a bit of a challenge. Done other pieces with the black graphite before it lays down pretty easy. The Don Hume has held up well over the years.

Registered
20 YO EDC Ultra Carry 45 Original looking a little rough

View attachment 617871

View attachment 617872

View attachment 617873

View attachment 617874

Gloss black Cerakote over park on the slide, mag release, and GS, graphite black on the frame some new grips, MSH, springs, plunger tube. Park only on the hammer.

View attachment 617879

View attachment 617875

View attachment 617876

View attachment 617877
Nice job! I too have an old DH holster. Doesn鈥檛 look nearly as good as yours though!

Registered
Ha!
20 years on the hip.
Don't notice the change from day to day, shot it every couple months or so and cleaned, changed the recoil and hammer springs one other time, always shot great but the other day I think it was Mosin that pointed out it needed some love. First time using gloss, a bit of a challenge. Done other pieces with the black graphite before it lays down pretty easy. The Don Hume has held up well over the years.
It's hard to tell from the pics but is that corrosion on the slide or just finish wear? Was it that old KimPro finish? My Warrior had that and it was awful. It would flake off constantly.

You did a wonderful job on cleanup for sure. I couldn't have done that.

Premium Member
Nice job on the makeover. After 20 years of carrying she certainly was in need of it. Good for many more years, now. I always enjoyed my Ultra and Ultra Raptor.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
corrosion on the slide or just finish wear
Mostly grime and wear. Boy it sure flash rusted the first time when I washed it and put in the oven to dry and look for oil creep.
Had to blast a second time, no soap and water.
Also tried some stencils but wasn't happy so went back to the gloss black.
Wood Rectangle Floor Automotive tire Flooring

Registered
Looks like you replaced the MSH. Did it take the hit from a fall?

Also, is the frame aluminum? How hard was that to refinish?

Finally, it looks like you left the sights on for the refinish. Is that an issue? Serious question, not trolling. I know nothing about metal finishes or refinishing and find this fascinating.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like you replaced the MSH. Did it take the hit from a fall?

Also, is the frame aluminum? How hard was that to refinish?

Finally, it looks like you left the sights on for the refinish. Is that an issue? Serious question, not trolling. I know nothing about metal finishes or refinishing and find this fascinating.
Yes on the MSH damage, plus I wanted to replace the plastic with steel
Frame was a little harder, sprayed everything inside and flashed, then re-wired and sprayed the outside.
Yes on the sights, saw someone else do an ultra carry that way on YouTube, looked good. Sights took the parkerizing great. Plus I didn't want to install afterwards.

keep the recoil spring fresh
Yes Sir.
Funny little setup but works.

Registered
Well done, Now that you got the barrel cleaned up, keep some oil on it.
I have seen brand new Kimbers at the store have rusty barrels.
I don't think they are stainless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts