1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great forum and I've learned a lot in the past few days. Just to let you know what I'm going through on my Kimbers. I have a SS Ultra Carry II that has fte problems. It fails about 40% of the time. It looks like the extractor does not get a hold of the rim of the case and leaves it in the chamber. I have about 125 rounds through this weapon. I also have a Pro CDP and it has ftf problems. It fails about 25% of the time. When it fails the round starts into the chamber but the the rim of the round will catch on the extractor and the round will not slide up. I called Kimber today and will send them back tommorow, I'll let you know what they find. The Ultra Carry is very acurate at 7 yards but really spreads out at 25 yards. Most likley it's me. The CDP is very acurate at all ranges up to 25 yards. I like the CDP because I can shoot 5 inch groups at rappid fire. The Ultra Carry I'm lucky to keep all the rounds on the target at rappid fire.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
My Compact CDP had ftf with the stock mag. It works great with Metalforms with the round metal follower and with Wilsons. I use the Metalform for carry because it sits flush with the frame although it also only holds six rounds. My bag up mags for it are Wilson 8 rounders with the base to fit the officer sized frame.

fwiw once the initial magazine issue was resolved this gun also had infrequent troubles feeding Ranger T ammo, but it feeds Remington Golden Saber perfectly.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
A-wall --

Try the SEARCH funcion. You'll find hundreds of messages, trials, and solutions to the external extractor failure to extract.

Executive Summary: Contact Kimber and have them send you the latest and greatest extractor. Do not spend $40 to send the pistol back, it'll come back dirty and, unless they changed the extractor, still won't work. Have them mail you the right part.

Look familiar?

-- Chuck

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, change the mags to Cobra or Wilson mags, it is a must. the ammo sould also work out better too with them. Sometimes you also have to find ammo they like the best, but it is my bet the mags are the problem and if not it is a trouble shooting measure. Regardless the mags you can't go wrong with and if you do need an updated extractor then just call Kimber as Chuck said and have them send you another extractor, you should be good to go then.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
Dirty pistol

The pistol shown a couple messages up is dirty from firing.

Back before I realized just what a POS the original Kimber external extractor was I tried several brands of ammunition and a dozen different magazines. Failure to extract no matter what -- no surprise the design is/was defective. Anyone need to see more photos? :rolleyes: Why is there no sticky on the unreliable Kimber external extractor? It's gotta be the most common question/problem with this company's pistols.

Kimber did finally provide an extractor which was reliable. At least for the 4 or so boxes of ammo I put thru it before cleaning the pistol up and selling it. I won't sell a non-functioning pistol.

I like the Kimber Ultra II, just not the IIe.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chuck S said:
The pistol shown a couple messages up is dirty from firing.

Back before I realized just what a POS the original Kimber external extractor was I tried several brands of ammunition and a dozen different magazines. Failure to extract no matter what -- no surprise the design is/was defective. Anyone need to see more photos? :rolleyes: Why is there no sticky on the unreliable Kimber external extractor? It's gotta be the most common question/problem with this company's pistols.

Kimber did finally provide an extractor which was reliable. At least for the 4 or so boxes of ammo I put thru it before cleaning the pistol up and selling it. I won't sell a non-functioning pistol.

I like the Kimber Ultra II, just not the IIe.

-- Chuck
at is the difference between the Ultra II and the IIe

·
Registered
209 Posts
Like Chuck said, contact Kimber and speak with Dennis. Explain the problem you are having.

The Ultra Carry IIe has an external extractor unlike the Ultra Carry II which has an internal extractor.

The photos posted by Chuck are the same FTE's I was having with my Ultra Carry IIe.

After two trips to Kimber my pistol continued having FTE's. The third time I sent it back Kimber put a new slide on my pistol which has an internal extractor.

I fired 200 rounds through the gun today with no malfunctions.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
II and IIe are, I'm guessing, Kimber internal model designation that show up on the box label the pistol comes in. The tiny "e" denotes the external extractor.

My old stock Ultra Carry II has a non-ramped barrel, the ramp is part of the frame as it was in my CDP Compace. The external extractor version has the ramped barrel. Neither had any feeding problems.

I have a small Beretta which has no extractor whatsoever by design. Straight blowback action has never left a case in the barrel. This is the only situation I can think of where .32ACP is better than .45ACP. :biglaugh:

-- Chuck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chuck S said:
II and IIe are, I'm guessing, Kimber internal model designation that show up on the box label the pistol comes in. The tiny "e" denotes the external extractor.

My old stock Ultra Carry II has a non-ramped barrel, the ramp is part of the frame as it was in my CDP Compace. The external extractor version has the ramped barrel. Neither had any feeding problems.

I have a small Beretta which has no extractor whatsoever by design. Straight blowback action has never left a case in the barrel. This is the only situation I can think of where .32ACP is better than .45ACP. :biglaugh:

-- Chuck
I talked to Kimber today and they are waiting on a new slide for my Ultra Carry, Sounds like I may be getting an internal extractor. The CDP is in the shop and they could not tell me anything about that one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to the range today

I got my Pro CDP back last week and went to the range today. I bought 2 Wilson Combat mags (47d) and 50 rounds of Remington UMC 230 Gr FMJ, 100 rounds of Winchester 230 Gr FMJ (white box) 50 rounds of Remington UMC (green box) and 50 rounds of Winchester 230 Gr JHP. I also had my stock Kimber mag. I fired off all this ammo without any failures at all. I even used the Kimber mag through each rotation without any problems. Both the Remington PMC and UMC were the least accurate. I could get three shots in a nice group then I'd have a flier (sometimes 6" off) However both Winchester rounds Proved to be quite accurate with 3" groups at 10 yards. I went to the range with a clean weapon and did not clean it at all during my range time. The new slide with internal extractor fixed my problem. It's amazing how fast you can go through 250 rounds when everything works.

Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.