1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Ultra Carry II , I love the weight of the pistol. It'll be much lighter for concealed carry than my Colt Officers Model. I haven't got to shoot it yet hopefully this Sat. My question is, I locked my slide back put in a mag of hollowpoints released the slide and the bullet just hung on the ramp.:eek: .

I know the pistols new and tight but about how many rounds of
FMJ. should I fire before I can carry it with HPs without worring about feeding problems.

Coltman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hollwpoint problem with the Ultra II

I got my Ultra II three weeks ago and I have had the same problem. The first thing I did was run 400 rounds of FMJ through it with zero malfunctions. No oil, no cleaning, nothing just 100% functioning. Very nice. Then I switched to my carry load for the .45 - Ranger SXT 230gr (AKA Black Talon) and the problems began.

If I jostle the pistol as I'm dropping the slide, it loads the HP. But if I smoothly let off the slide release it drives the hollowpoint straight into the bottom edge of the feed ramp.

Then if I get it loaded, sometime in mid magazine, it does the same thing and locks to the rear again trying to drive that hollowpoint straight out of the magazine. Grrrrr!!! FMJ is no problem as thats what I've carried if I carry it

I took it to the local Kimber "master dealer". He was suspicious as he said the Kimbers have next to no probelms, even from the box. He took one look and pointed out the feed ramp needs to be worked on (polish the ramp and throat the chamber). He said its a simple operation and function will be 100% when done. I'm also having night sites installed (thought it would come from the fact with them...no luck!) and DiamondKote OD applied (orig finish is junk...already wearing and I've carried it 6-7 times!), so I'm gonna have him do it all next week when I drop it off.

But to answer your quesiton, I've had the same problem with the same gun.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
The shorter the barrel, the more chance of these malfunctions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased the same handgun and have around 400 rounds of various brands and types (FMJ, HP and flat nose) through it. I experienced feeding problems with the Kimber mag, but none with Wilson Combat mags.

A nice feature of the Wilson mags are the plastic followers that should not damaged the aluminum frame of the Ultra. There is a picture of an aluminum frame Kimber thaat a metal follower damaged in one of the discussions.

I just started visiting this site and have noticed a lot of discussion on feeding problems related to mags.

So far best semi I have ever owned.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had some problems with FTF in my Ultra Carry Series I when I use the factory mag but it works great with Wilson mags.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the replies.
Kimberkop,

Mine works the same way, if I jostle the slide It will take the hp.
You would think that something that costs almost $800 would eat anything that you throw at it. I guess I'll go ahead and get mine polished & throated to. I cant believe the finish is already wearing on yours. This is my first Kimber and I'm starting to wonder if I bought a piece of junk. :grumble:. Did you call Kimber and and tell them about the finish wearing ? How much for the Diamondkote?

Coltman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Guys,

I can't speak about the bluing, mine was excellent.
But as far as the FTRTB, if 500 rds of fmj during break in doesn't cure the problem, I will be happy to share with you what I did to cure the problem with my UC II. Be sure to keep it lubed.......

GySgt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lock-up on Ultra Carry II

I've came across anmo that seem to be great!!!
It's called PowerBall. I think you can purchase it either in Sportman or Shotgun News I can't rember right off hand but there is a ball that is in front of a looks like a hollow point. When it is fired the ball mushrooms pushs inside the the bullet, hey it's ugly thing when fired. I carry it in my Ultra Carry II because i've heard that hollow point are not so good on your breech face, they seem to gouch it. I do not run hollow point at all!!!! That's my two cents.
Hey sorry for the mispelled words!

Charlie

·
Registered
181 Posts
How in the world can a hollowpoint gouge the breech face?

A number of folks (myself included) polish the breech face to facilitate feeding with a dirty gun, but that's so the rear of the cartridge will slide up easier under the extractor when feeding. But I don't know how the nost of a JHP round would ever contact the breech face.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Never tried with other magazines...just purchased three Chi[p McCormick mags. I should try them first before working on it....good suggestion!

DiamondKote will run $125 for gun and one mag. Don't know about your Ultra's, but a fellow shooter has a Ultra Carry I, which I shot and wanted to buy and led me to buy my own. His gun is worn ALL OVER similar to mine, but more of it.

Plus, I REALLY like the OD look of the Springfield Micro in OD. Want to mimick, but didn't want a Springfield....no dis to Springfield owners, just wanted a Kimber for a long time.

The powerball ammo looks very interesting. A great idea, but does anyone know of any testing with this ammo?

Cheers to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I purchased an Ultra II about 2 months ago. The first 100-200 rounds of white box winchester ball ammo were fine. Then I bought a 100 round box of Winchester hollow point defense loads. I started FTF and FTRTB problems after about 50 rounds. I took it home and tore it down. The feed ramp on the frame below the barrel ramp was gouged. I sent it in to Kimber. They returned it about a week later. They had lightly polished the frame and adjusted the extractor. I took it back to the range. It started to get FTF and FTRTB problems using hardball after about 50 rounds when it was lightly dirty. I called Chris at Kimber. He is sending a call tag to get the gun to him to check out and not to Dennis. I asked for a new non-gouged frame and then I will use Wilson mags or followeres only. They still claim that the mags are not the cause of the gouging. They are wrong. I will see if they give me a new frame. I would love to hear what can be done to solve this problem as I must depend on this gun for defense. I went out last week and bought a new Para Tac-Four for carry. It will compliment the Kimber. I have gotten pretty aggrevated with the Kimber and will not carry it until the reliability issues are solved.

Jess

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got an Ultra Shadow II LE and had some problems using the Kimber mags. I've got 400+ rounds through it now and using Wilson mags and 185gr +P Golden Sabres I get MAYBE one FTF in 100 rds.

Just make the first round count....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my stainless Ultra S1 since 1999 and its my daily carry weapon.

I have fired maybe 3500 to 4000rds through it. I use Wilson mags loaded with Federal HydraShox 165gr. with no feed problems. I sometimes shoot IDPA with it and use Winclean's jacketed SWC ammo with no problems.

My 2 cents - Before you spend $$$ on mechanical work, try different mags.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, well, well....very interesting!

Just shot my Ultra II with my new McCormick mags and, what do you know? 100% function with several different HP brands. Very nice! Fired around 125 rounds with not one malfunction. And shooting point of aim. I'm pleased.

As I stated above, when I'd try to load HP with the supplied Kimber mag, the HP woud drive straight into the lower lip of the feeding ramp. When comparing the Kimiber and Chip McCormick mag you see the McCormick mag is just a smidge longer/taller, prob placing the round just that much higher and closer to the chamber.

Now, when I drop the slide on a full magazine, I get that delightful "sshhclink" sound of a 1911 chambering a round. If I could get it to chamber with the Kimber mag with the HPs, it sounded quite different, almost a grinding sound(?).:confused:

OK, Eric's happy again....I'm just going to sit over here being happy...just sit here....yup!:cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
When I took my new Ultra Carry II home, the first thing I did was polish the barrel ramp and chamber throat to a mirror finish with some Flitz polish and a felt wheel on a my dremmel tool. My Ultra Carry II will now eat any type of ammo I feed it. Anything from FMJ to Hollow Point to Lead Semi-Wad Cutters. It also feeds perfectly with the original Kimber mag, CMC Shooting Star mags, and Wilson mags. The gun doesn't care, it likes them all. I would suggest however if your gun likes CMC mags that you get Wilson plastic follower kits and swap them out for the metal follower that comes in the CMC's. This will definitely prevent frame goughing.

To answer your original question about carry ammo, I was using Cor-Bon PowR Ball ammo until I found a good supply of EFMJ. I find the ballistics comparible to the Cor-Bon but the EFMJ expands every time in all media to approximately 75 caliber. There is no hollow point to clog up and the bullet profile feeds perfectly every time.

Just my .02
MadDog :p

·
Registered
570 Posts
whisper sweet nothings into the ejection port.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts