1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a Kimber Ultra Carry II/ Night Sights (LG)™ .45 ACP -

My question is - I'm a lefty and it does not have a ambidextrous safety.

Can a ambi safety be put on the gun?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you BBBBill for the answer - could you give me a few details?

:)

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Sure. There are a plethora of ambi safeties available on the aftermarket. Some of good quality and some junk (Mueshke for one). Kimber offers an ambi, also. Retention methods for the Lefty paddle (right side) vary, but the two most common are (1) a flat arm that extends under the right grip panel and (2) retention by an extra length hammer pin with a tongue that fits into a groove in the back of the off side lever. Proper installation requires fitting the sear blocking lug on the back of the safety plate to the sear. That is done by carefull measurement and filing to fit til the safety will lock in the safe position allowing zero movement of the sear.
A couple threads for you to read below that should futher your understanding.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=145628

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=206274&highlight=thumb+safety

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you again for your input.

That's what I'm looking for.

As far as looks, since the slide does not have a indent or circle for a ambi safety - will the added safety be on top of the slide side or will the smith drill a hole & drill a circle indent on the plain flat slide?

Will it look added on?

·
Registered
271 Posts
There does not need to be a cut in the slide. The ambi works by contecting the two pieces together. So you will have a lever on each side. Usualy a mortise and tennon type set up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BBBill
Thanks that helps.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The middle pic in post #7 is my gun. If you are interested in the ambi safety you see on that gun pm me. Chuck Rogers has my gun right now, and is fitting a new left side only thumb safety so I won't be using the ambi anymore.

Mike Darr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts