1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a call from my LGS saying they just received a CDP II 9mm. and if I still wanted one, YES. Went right up and picked it up. Had no deposit on it. Should have gone to two others that had deposits. Nice to have friends. Ouestion, What size Uncle Mikes IWB should I use for know. Any ideas for a good IWB and OWB for it. Presently have a FIST for my LCP and a KD for my M&P 9c. Both OWB. Carry UM for IWB for both. Owners manual states best to use round ball, any reason. ALWAYS, use Fed. Hydra Shoks in my other autos. First time having a 1911 platform pistol. Thanks much, finn

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Received a call from my LGS saying they just received a CDP II 9mm. and if I still wanted one, YES. Went right up and picked it up. Had no deposit on it. Should have gone to two others that had deposits. Nice to have friends. Ouestion, What size Uncle Mikes IWB should I use for know. Any ideas for a good IWB and OWB for it. Presently have a FIST for my LCP and a KD for my M&P 9c. Both OWB. Carry UM for IWB for both. Owners manual states best to use round ball, any reason. ALWAYS, use Fed. Hydra Shoks in my other autos. First time having a 1911 platform pistol. Thanks much, finn
Uncle Mikes? If you really think that works best for you, I don't think it matters. :)

Ammo, the manual is pretty clear about good factory ball nose for break in. Should be not much different for any 1911, of any gun that may need a little wear in. Once worn in, and/or no problems, whatever JHP you prefer and the gun likes.

Congrats. You may want to read through the manual, primarily wear in and what to do prior to shooting it. There's a ton of threads with the same, including some that believe in hand racking the slide a few hundred times to start the wear in, after clean and lube of course.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Congratulations on finding an Ultra CDP II. It's a fine pistol and should serve you well. Everyone seems to have a preference on holsters, and there are a lot to choose from out there. My (limited) experience is that especially in holsters you get what you pay for. I've recently learned my lesson about buying used holsters, and probably won't do that again. Bought one that was advertised as "Like New" and found it too loose. Looked new, but you can never tell what the previous owner did to it. From now on, I'll be sticking to new where I know the maker will stand behind it.:bawling:

·
Registered
65 Posts
After properly breaking in my Ultra, I use Speer Gold Dot 230gr short barrel hollow points. It loves them.... no FTF's or FRTB's.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Kimber stresses ball ammunition to weasel out of any reliability issues shooting JHP ammo! :)

I've found 147gr JHPs work well in the few 9mm pistols I have. Give the pistol a good workout with something like Federal 124gr ball before trying different JHPs. When in doubt shoot the heaviest bullet that functions well.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Had no deposit on it. Should have gone to two others that had deposits. Nice to have friends.

Sounds like my local gun shop. I don't shop there anymore.
L.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I DO feel bad about accepting a gun that was orig. ment for another, but have been waiting a long time. Still no excuse

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Sorta

Well, the Ultra Covert I traded for Friday may have been similar. I stopped by my LCS last Wednesday to attempt a trade on a Walther PPK/S (unsuccessfully) and as I walked out I saw the covert in the Kimber case. I tossed a quick "I'll trade my Ultra and $400 for yours" he just gave me a smile and said NO, I just put it out but bring yours in and we'll talk. I said I'd be back on Friday as they were closing. I went back on Friday morning and whined about the $1369 price and not getting enough out of my Ultra. He said "well you know they're not easy to get and I can sell everyone I get in one day".. "I've got a good customer that's been waiting on one and I called him Wednesday morning and he hasn't shown"... "It's been two days, so if you want it there it is".. "I'll put an extra hundred in your gun because you've been in here trading with me a lot lately". So as I was getting in the truck a guy pulls up, goes inside and walks over to the Kimber counter, looks inside and starts waving his arms around. LGS guy goes over and starts talking to him, while giving me a wave off.

I did just walk in and find it on my own, he didn't even tell me it was there. I don't know them and I'm sure I'm not their friends, but I probably got the other guys pistol. I hadn't given it much thought until now... Cheers.. Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts