1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question for the experts. It doesn't really bother me much, but I'd like to get an answer. I purchased a used 2 year old Ultra CDP II from Gander Mtn a few months back. I have no idea how many rounds were put thru the gun, so I can't confirm break in period. When I fill the magazine with seven rounds, I find that 30-40% of the time, when racking the first round, the slide jams. I re rack to clear the jam and the gun fires fine. I reload the magazine and it'll work fine for all 7 rounds. My issue is only on the first round being chambered after the magazine is inserted.

A friend mentioned that my ramp didn't appear polished, so I polished it and still experience this. The only other issue I have ever experienced was a bullet missed the chamber and pointed straight up jamming the slide partially open. This happened only once and I attribute it to something I probably did. Anybody have any ideas on the first round failing to chamber? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
While I'm by no means an expert, many of those will respond later, I at least do own a new Ultra CDP. I've put 900 rounds through it, and have had 2 FTFs at <300 and none since.

I'm new to 1911s and the thing that I think is that Kimber has these cheesy magazines. I've never used the mag that came with the gun, but now have 5 Wilson Combat mags that to my mind look far superior to the one offered by kimber.

My non-expert thought is that you should try a different magazine.

claire

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
No expert here but, I'll assume you are slingshoting the first round. If so, you may unknowning be "riding" the slide. Then you are using the slide release to chamber every first round after that. Lock the slide back, insert magazine and use the slide stop to chamber your first round.

Your malf. with the round sticking straight up is called a stove pipe. If either of your thumbs touch the slide on a 3" gun, it will slow the slide down and my result in a stove pipe. Other issues could also cause it however.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured that was a stovepipe, but wasn't positive. It happened only once and I don't remember if there was a distraction or "riding the slide" happening. I love the gun so far, to the point that these issues aren't even a big deal.

I just tried figuring out what I'm doing and realize that it only happens after the slide is locked open, I insert a new magazine, pull back on the slide and release the lock. My Beretta doesn't need me to pull back the slide to release from locked, but the Kimber seems so tight that I can't release it without pulling back the slide first. I might be slowing the slide down since it is only 3". I'll try to pay more attention next time it happens, if it does. Thanks

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If you have a Shock Buffer in the pistol remove it. Great cat toy.

Never polish the feed ramp on a aluminum frame pistol and be careful polishing a ramped barrel not to change any angles.

It should only be necessary to pull the slide to the rear and release it. No need to depress the slide lock as the slide will do this for you.

I'm betting bad magazines. Try another. Even full sized mags will work, just don't slam them in with the slide open.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ultra CDP II has the feed ramp built into the barrel like this picture.

I used 1500 grit automotive wet sand paper and sanded the ramp by hand to remove the horizontal scratches. Some of the horizontal scratches can still barely be seen, but 1500 grit shouldn't remove anything that would impact the operation. It barely impacts the paint on the car. No other tools or polishes were used.

I also tried to release the slide without touching the release and it worked just fine. The more I think about it, I think the times it jams is when I touch the release. I don't think I use the release all the time. It sounds like I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing when I'm out there. Sometimes I use the release and sometimes I don't. I'll bet that when I do, it jams. I'll pay more attention and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Fully loaded mag has more resistance against the 1st rnd but a fully compressed recoil spring should be able to chamber it. Not knowing the history of the weapon I'd replace the recoil spring it may be getting close to being toast. Riding the slide will create feed issues as well.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I vote with Claire - get a different style of magazine. I have the same gun, and with most magazine types the first round can stick on the feed ramp. Nearly all the magazines you will find in the market today have "wadcutter" feed lips - which are a significant departure from the original JMB milspec feed lips and interfere with "controlled round feeding" that JMB designed into the gun. Your first round jam is caused by the bullet nose-diving into the feed ramp. Part of the issue can be magazine springs, but I urge you to try the Checkmate magazines with hybrid feed lips and the higher level springs. You get controlled round feeding and much smoother feeding - at least in all the guns that I have tried with the Checkmate hybrid lip mags.

·
Registered
363 Posts
scotts87iroc, what mags are you using? Mags are the most likely problem. Also, jamming 7 rounds into a 6 round officer mag could be the problem. :biglaugh:

I just got a used Ultra CDP (not a II) this week and fired it for the first time tonight, after installing a new recoil spring (just the big one). I had four failures to chamber, including one stove piped live round, with 2 different mags. Since everything ejected cleanly, I suspected the mags were causing the problem.

I removed those 2 mags from the rotation and it fired the next 150 rounds with no malfunctions, using 2 Kimber 6-round mags (retrofited with Tripp Research followers) and 3 Wilson 7-rounders. The two mags it did not like were Wilson mags, but maybe its time to replace the mag springs in those two, or adjust the feed lips.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
I have 5 Wilson Combat 47,OXCB 7 round mags that I use with my Ultra CDP II. As I said earlier I've gone through the last 600 rounds with no problems. The Wolff recoil spring kit is $8.99 - stock# 51818. Try a new mag before anything else...JMO

claire

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
I have 5 Wilson Combat 47,OXCB 7 round mags that I use with my Ultra CDP II. As I said earlier I've gone through the last 600 rounds with no problems. The Wolff recoil spring kit is $8.99 - stock# 51818. Try a new mag before anything else...JMO

claire

Uhhh ohhhh!: She's a quotin' stock #'s!:eek: Move over SRJim....wezza got us a new sheriff in town.:biglaugh:

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
Uhhh ohhhh!: She's a quotin' stock #'s!:eek: Move over SRJim....wezza got us a new sheriff in town.:biglaugh:
I only know because I just ordered 2 springs for my XD9 and ordered springs for the Ultra CDP :p

claire

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Im no Gunsmith ,but if the gun was 2 years old first thing I would do is put a new Recoil spring in it! The Ultra's springs wear faster.... Next I would either get a new spring for the Kimber mag or replace it with a Wilson.....

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Im no Gunsmith ,but if the gun was 2 years old first thing I would do is put a new Recoil spring in it! The Ultra's springs wear faster.... Next I would either get a new spring for the Kimber mag or replace it with a Wilson.....
Think Kimber recommends the Ultra recoil spring to be replace every 1500 rnds.:confused:

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
Think Kimber recommends the Ultra recoil spring to be replace every 1500 rnds.:confused:
Actually...on page 7 of the manual:
Ultra
recoil spring 18# change every 1800 rounds
firing pin spring change every 5000 rounds
mainspring 23# change every 5000 rounds

FYI ;)

claire

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Ok... I stand corrected claire. It is 1800 rnds. (not 1500)

:p

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
Just trying to help you protect your expert status ;)

claire

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I've heard some recommend changing the Ultra's recoil spring every 500 or so!?
1500 would make me feel better.

I should read the manual. I have two Ultras. Page 7 huh? I don't have many rounds through mine yet.(and the warranty has already run out!:eek:!)

No worries,claire.SRJ ain't gonna give up the sheriff position any time soon.:biglaugh:

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
All quiet...claires readin' the damn manual for us!!:rock: (I can't read:bawling:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts