1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'll be joining the Kimber family! I fired my fathers Ultra CDP, and have to get one there is no talking me out of it. My question is why do the prices vary so much? I have seen some on the net for $925 NIB and then a dealer near me wants $1100, did Kimber put extra upgrades on some and not others?

· Registered
993 Posts
The answer to your question is no , they should be the same . However , you should know that there are a few differences depending on when the gun was manufactured . The early , pre series II guns had an internal extractor and a frame mounted feed ramp . Then came series II still with internal extractors I believe (I don't know if they had ramped barrels yet) . Shortly thereafter came the current external extractors and ramped barrels .

Threads have run to many pages discussing the relative merits of the internal vs external extractor issue . When the external extractors run they are great , but it seems that a greater percentage of the newer guns don't . Of course it's a cost cutting measure and we keep buying Kimbers , and they largely seem to run , so it's doubtful that situation will change anytime soon. You decide...Tom

· Registered
735 Posts
Personally If you get the UCDP II I would get it in the .40 S&W. the .40's have the internal extractor. All the features are the same, the price difference is due to dealer profit and what they are trying to make on them hoping the consumer will not do his home work.

I would look for a good used UCDP pre series II or a used series II in the .40, or if you have to have new (and that is fine) it is my opinion that the .40 S&W with in-ex is the better choice. For your reference I bought a used UCDP II w/in-ex, Wilson mag well, 3 Wilson mags, box and all the paper work for $775.00 with maybe 200 rds through the gun.

The gun is flawless with the Wilson and Now the Cobra mags I just got, but I have had 4-5 FTF with the stock Kimber mags over 500 rounds. That's not bad I guess but that's 4-5 to many for me so the Wilson and now the better IMO Cobra mags are all I will use.

To confuse you a little, if I was buying a new Ultra today I would buy the Ultra Carry II in the .40 S&W with the in-ex and night sites.

You more than likely will have to change the mags, heck even Kimber suggests this if you are having problems with a gun feeding ammo properly. One of my friends bought a Pro Carry II with the ex-ex had problems during the first 200 rounds with FTF and FTE, called Kimber and they said to change the mag to a different kind, put another 300 rounds through the gun and if he was still having problems with it to send it in and they will fix whatever the problem is. I just bought 5 Cobra B9-MO mags for $145.75 shipped. I guess I am just warning you that however shi**y it is the Kimber mag will more than likely have to go and be replaced with a better one.

Hope this helps. :D

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the features are the same, the price difference is due to dealer profit and what they are trying to make on them hoping the consumer will not do his home work.
That's what I figured, it's just that the shop near me isn't usually that much higher in price. Now I just have to decide who to get it from. I am set on getting the internal extractor, but 40 v.s. 45, I guess I never gave it a thought to go with a 40. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
735 Posts
Guido

I think the .40 S&W is a great choice! others will have there doubts because they are .45 guy's. I like .45 cal as much as the next guy but with this gun it is awesome in the .40 cal. :D

· Registered
1,130 Posts
I will pay a little more for one in the shop that I can handle. But for a couple of hundred I will order one. That dealer may have his stock priced to give better deals on trade ins. Ask him for a cash price. I have talked to dealers and they won't always match but will get pretty close to internet pricing.

If your dealer has a series one gun it is worth an extra $100.00 IMHO.

· Registered
735 Posts
Yes sir, That is the shop you want to buy from. A shop with good prices and great service. I am sorry to say that around here all but one gun shop are jerks and I will never buy anything from them. The shop I do buy from, the guy is excellent and his prices are stupid low and he bends over backwards for every customer, not that he has to but that is the type of shop he wants to have. I suspect he will close up many of the other shops that have customer no service in the area.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have been looking around still and found a new KIMBER ULTRA ELITE for 1,495.00. I am not worried about the cost. Does any one have one of these? I know that only a few came out prior to the CDP just wondering if they had any problems.

· Registered
735 Posts
Guido said:
Well I have been looking around still and found a new KIMBER ULTRA ELITE for 1,495.00. I am not worried about the cost. Does any one have one of these? I know that only a few came out prior to the CDP just wondering if they had any problems.
Guido, for that kind of money I would move over to the LB Stinger. I'm sorry but I wouldn't pay that much for an Ultra ever, unless it had extensive customization from a smith that I new and trusted. Not worth it IMHO. I paid $775.00 for my UCDP II with three Wilson mags and and mag well and thought I got a good price but would never pay double that even for new.

Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.