1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's thought on these. I just picked one up used for what I feel was a good price($530). I fired 50rds with one fail to feed( my fault i think) but Its a very accurate little gun. So far I like it except for the trigger. To me it feels like there isn't enough travel. It goes bang but but it just don't feel like it wants to release the hammer. But I can take care of that fairly easy
I'd post a pic but I don't know how. This is my second 1911 and my first Kimber

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
$530 is a great price in my book, almost a steal. Other than the scratch, it seems to be in great shape. Hopefully there are no real issues with the trigger. You know you could use some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to make that scratch less noticeable.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
So far I'm quite happy. I just need sights since these are almost completely burnt out. I've narrowed the trigger problem to the sear/hammer. I'll probably just buy new parts and not mess with the MIM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Any suggestions for sights? I'm not a fan of the meprolights that are on it. Does kimber use a standard sight cut or their own special cut?

Sorry for the questions by the way

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
WEB is correct and the Kimber sights are TIGHT to put it mildly.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Any suggestions for sights? I'm not a fan of the meprolights that are on it. Does kimber use a standard sight cut or their own special cut?

Sorry for the questions by the way
Questions are good. Kimber does have their own sight cuts. They also don't make the sights like you have on that pistol any more and I think they dropped meprolight for the vials (not sure who they're using now). I'd contact Kimber or check out their website to see what sights are available. There's a ton of other sights out there too and I think most are available with the Kimber cut. I personally like Novaks.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
You got a great deal. Although I'm not a fan of Ultras, they sell like crazy. I did own one full-sized CDP that wouldn't stay secure in my Milt Sparks VMII because of the severe melt treatment. All my other 1911's were snug and comfy. I ended up selling it because I couldn't find a quality holster manufacturer that would guarantee a proper fit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You got a great deal. Although I'm not a fan of Ultras, they sell like crazy. I did own one full-sized CDP that wouldn't stay secure in my Milt Sparks VMII because of the severe melt treatment. All my other 1911's were snug and comfy. I ended up selling it because I couldn't find a quality holster manufacturer that would guarantee a proper fit.
What don't you like about Ultras? Just the extreme melt job? (If you don't mind me asking) I'm a Springfield fan until I found this for the price, and actually told myself I would never buy a kimber because it is just an "over priced" production gun. This trigger needed some attention but I got it worked out in a few hours. Otherwise I'm quite happy. Now I just need to put a few hundred rounds through it for a reliability test and I can retire my Glock 17

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Many of us have found that the shorter the 1911 the less reliable. Nothing to do with the melt job. Pack a lunch and do a search. There is just to much going on for a three-inch gun to handle at once. I know that there are many that love their shorties, and I'm glad for them. I just play the odds. Plus you really gain nothing over a 4" gun with a compact grip. In fact you lose a longer sight plane, accuracy, velocity, and balance, plus the barrel is not the hard part to conceal. I just don't see the reason for a 3" gun personally. One of my favorites of all times is a stainless Kimber Compact. A 4" bull barrel gun with the same grip as an Ultra, but with all the bennies I described above.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Many of us have found that the shorter the 1911 the less reliable.
Change that to "Some".

Many of us have found that the shorter the 1911 to be just as reliable as the longer barreled versions. And the 3" guns weight less, are just as accurate, have sufficient velocity and aim over the short distances they are going to be used, and are easier to handle due to the reduced weight and size.

Flint, the most important point with any gun is how it works FOR YOU. The gun you should carry needs to fit your hand and your carry style, be one that you can hit what you aim at with it and that is reliable with the ammunition you want to use.

What works or doesn't work for anyone else and what everyone else "likes" or "dislikes" for whatever reason is totally irrelevant.
Went the time comes that you ever need to use your self defense gun, you need it to be the one you have faith and trust in because it it going to be your life on the line.
Like what you like and be happy.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
One of the last two posts gave facts, the other gave opinions. You decide.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Change that to "Some".

Many of us have found that the shorter the 1911 to be just as reliable as the longer barreled versions. And the 3" guns weight less, are just as accurate, have sufficient velocity and aim over the short distances they are going to be used, and are easier to handle due to the reduced weight and size.

Flint, the most important point with any gun is how it works FOR YOU. The gun you should carry needs to fit your hand and your carry style, be one that you can hit what you aim at with it and that is reliable with the ammunition you want to use.

What works or doesn't work for anyone else and what everyone else "likes" or "dislikes" for whatever reason is totally irrelevant.
Went the time comes that you ever need to use your self defense gun, you need it to be the one you have faith and trust in because it it going to be your life on the line.
Like what you like and be happy.
I normally carry either a full size Springfield or a glock 17. But now that it is 90°+ the smaller gun is much easier and more comfortable for all day carry at work. I actually train with what I choose to carry also, so I can usually work out the bugs before and if I need to draw in defense. I actually only bought this because it was so cheap. But the more I shoot it the more I like it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts