1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a problem recently in that the slide is not going all the way forward after a shot. The gun is requiring a "slap" in the back of the slide to get it all the way forward.

This just happened to me the last time at the range after only about 100 rounds since the last thorough cleaning.

A friend told me he had the same problem about a year ago with both his Springfield Mil-Spec and his Colt 1911. His local gunsmith told him it was from using the "cheap" and very dirty UMC ammo.

He told me that in the case of his Springfield, the gunsmith had to actually use a brass brush attached to a cordless drill to get the crud loose!!!

I've got my Springfield clean and am heading to the range this morning to try it out. I've still only got the UMC ammo, bought in bulk, but the gun is clean as a whistle, so I guess I'll find out if it was the dirt after only 100 rounds or if the gun has an issue today.

Anybody else experience this problem?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If you're going to shoot lots of ammo have lots of lubrication in the pistol. You can't over lubricate it as long as you use CLP. You can make a mess of your clothing, but the pistol will function just fine.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, I have that problem with my SA loaded model. Shot 100 rounds of WWB yesterday, and had 3 FTF's. The first time it happend was after only 20 rounds. Then the second and third time it happend it was about 80 rounds into the 100 round box.

Then I shot 20 rounds of Hornady JHP and had no malfunctions of any kind..:confused: better ammo I guess.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd find a new gunsmith, IN A HURRY, if he's using a power tool and a brush to clean any part of your pistol.:eek:

·
Registered
551 Posts
So if UMC is crap and WWB is crap, what's everyone using for practice ammo??? :confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use Wolf FMJ or handloads with Unique. I've never had a problem with my SA Mil-Spec, it'll run bone dry, but, I lapped the rails before it's first outing years ago. The DW CBOB, on the other hand, was persnickety. Every other round the slide would fail to completely go into battery. My fault, I didn't lap it first and used Marvel Mystery Oil to lube it. Too thin. Switched to Mobil 1 5x20 and life has been good ever since.

Ken

·
Banned
140 Posts
I'd find a new gunsmith, IN A HURRY, if he's using a power tool and a brush to clean any part of your pistol.:eek:
Thanks for saying it for me.

That is typical hack procedure. It only takes patience to clean a weapon that is fouled that bad.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Invest in a Wilson chamber brush & some JB gun cleaning paste. It's just a dirty chamber. It's likely not the ammo, UMC, WWB,or Wolf, is all good range ammo. I get FTB with any ammo, after firing around 150 rounds, tight chamber. Just tap the back of the slide and continue on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I use Wolf FMJ or handloads with Unique. I've never had a problem with my SA Mil-Spec, it'll run bone dry, but, I lapped the rails before it's first outing years ago. The DW CBOB, on the other hand, was persnickety. Every other round the slide would fail to completely go into battery. My fault, I didn't lap it first and used Marvel Mystery Oil to lube it. Too thin. Switched to Mobil 1 5x20 and life has been good ever since.

Ken
Why would you lap the rails? Wouldn't you want the gun to wear on its own to keep it as tight as possible?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, the SA wasn't all that tight when it was new and it was really gritty feeling when cycled. Maybe I used the wrong terminology. I disassemble the gun, put lapping compound on the rails and then run the slide back and forth over the frame a few hundred times, cleaning and reapplying every 50 or so.

I've been doing that to semi-autos for 30 years, maybe because I'm too impatient to let the gun do the work for me.

The CBOB was incredibly tight! Without oil, the slide would barely move so I thought a light oil would be enough. It wasn't.

Ken

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
So if UMC is crap and WWB is crap, what's everyone using for practice ammo??? :confused:
LOL! Exactly what I was thinking.

I also think that if the gunsmith needs to use a brass brush attached to a cordless drill to get the crud loose, the gun is not being cleaned enough from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I raised an eyebrow when my buddy told me his gunsmith used a drill to clean his gun. I've actually used the guy a couple of times. The last time was to add a center bead to a shotgun barrel I wanted to use for dove season. He off-centered the bead and scratched the hell out of the barrel to boot! So I've not gone to the guy since.

Happy to report that after cleaning, the gun fired 21 rounds flawlessly. I'm still shocked that I was having a FTF every time after so few rounds after the last cleaning.
Tried something a little different when I cleaned it this time. As an avid blackpowder shooter for a couple decades, I only use mineral oil on my Hawken. I used some of it to lube the Springfield this time instead of commercial gun oil that I normally use. Might make a difference, dunno, but figured it was worth a try...

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
MY Springers have tightish chambers. While I never had a FTF with them, they are tighter than even my LBs. I would do a casting of the chamber to see whats up.

This could easily be a ridge or burr in the chamber near the throat. Would be the first thing I looked for, if I KNEW the ammo was to spec (which is probably the case!).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
do you grease the locking lugs????

Sound like the locking lug needs oil/grease and the link under the barrel along side the rails. If you take a look at Wilson's videos you'll see how he lubes his 45's. It appears to run well when it's wet.

rimfire,22

1 - 17 of 17 Posts