1911Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ramp hump?

Just an FYI . Went to local gunshow today to just browse around. Ended up buying FS tactical II .45. But while looking I came across a few 10mm versions. And they were absolutely horrible. Horrible in the fitting specifically. Slide to frame fit back by the hammer was not smooth at all. And the worst were the barrels. I don't know the actual name for the part but the cut on the back of the barrel that leads to the hood looked like stairs. I mean literally the cut went up half way and then it looked like someone adjusted back a couple of millimeters and finished it. I could stick a quarter in the gap.

I came across numerous different ones from different people that were cut this way. One of them at least had the decency to mark the price down on it.

I literally went through about 4 different sellers till I found a .45 version that was fitted well. So it was not just one guy trying to shakedown noobs.

Now it may just be that since they sell so quickly only the crappy ones were left. But if had bought one online and that is what showed up I would be pissed.
I have very little expereince but I do remember reading that there is supposed to be hump in the ramp to nudge the nose of the bullet up. I think I read this on a post about polishing the ramp? Just FYI

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Just an FYI . Went to local gunshow today to just browse around. Ended up buying FS tactical II .45. But while looking I came across a few 10mm versions. And they were absolutely horrible. Horrible in the fitting specifically. Slide to frame fit back by the hammer was not smooth at all. And the worst were the barrels. I don't know the actual name for the part but the cut on the back of the barrel that leads to the hood looked like stairs. I mean literally the cut went up half way and then it looked like someone adjusted back a couple of millimeters and finished it. I could stick a quarter in the gap.

I came across numerous different ones from different people that were cut this way. One of them at least had the decency to mark the price down on it.

I literally went through about 4 different sellers till I found a .45 version that was fitted well. So it was not just one guy trying to shakedown noobs.

Now it may just be that since they sell so quickly only the crappy ones were left. But if had bought one online and that is what showed up I would be pissed.
Well, I guess you can always go pay X2 for Colt Delta Elite, and enjoy great fit of the slide - which BTW have NOTHING to do with how gun cycle or accuracy.

Its 1911 chambered in 10mm that is affordable. Sure, it may not be fitted well like High end guns.

But then no one expect Hyundai to look like Lexus.
But Hyundai will get to point A to Point B, just like Lexus would...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I had a yearning for a 10mm and bought a used Springfield Omega. The thing looks like quality but I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. I think the 10 on paper looks awesome. We will see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had my RIA 1911 10mm since they were first available at CTD. It now has over 700 rounds thru it; mostly my handloads. So far no problems. RIA gunsmith did send me a heavier recoil spring and mainspring and I added a Wilson flat bottom FPS. This was done because I was/am shooting some of Underwoods ammo. My only problem to date has been shooting at our indoor range; the gun launches the empties off the walls into the ceiling and about 4 stalls over. Outside they are all at least 15 ft off in the sand. I'm getting another RIA 10mm in the very near future.
Dennis
The long distance of ejected shells is due to a too light recoil spring and/or
mainspring. I use a 20# recoil with a 26# mainspring on my Kimber TLE,
Dan Wesson PM10-S and Colt Delta Gold Cup, and my weapons fire very
nice, with the shells flying about 12 feet. I do have flat firing pin stop
plates on all of them too.

I fire the hot Underwood and Double Tap ammo with this tuning , and when
I fire "lesser ammo" I just use a 16# or 18# recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
> the ridiculous amount of oil all over the gun

RIA sells guns in many countries. Each shipment to the USA sells out quickly, but they might sit in a warehouse or storage room for months or years in some places, often without climate control. You can always clean an oily gun, but someone along the vendor chain is going to take it in the wallet if it comes out of the box with rust on it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Its not oil.
Its a rust preventative and it all must be cleaned out of the gun and reoiled before firing it.
That was more then likely Olympus original problem. He may not have thoroughly cleaned the gun before firing it.
I have the Commander sized S&W 40 with an extra 10mm barrel.
Not a single issue with over 1K full power 10mm rounds so far. heck I even have fired the 40s in the 10mm barrel with zero issues. Yes I know its only being supported by the extractor but they still fire fine.:rock:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts