1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first dozen or so rounds I fire come out with little pits in the shell casings, almost as if there was sand in the chamber. It clears up after 12 or so rds, but I'm wondering what could cause it? The gun is totally clean and lubed before firing, and there is no dust/powder or anything else on the rds I load.

The only thing I could think of was unburnt powder getting into the chamber, but not sure why it goes away after a dozen rds. I can't find anything in the chamber, but there is what appears to be unburnt powder in the slide, along with a reasonable amount of small brass particles.

I'm using 11.2gr of Accurate #7 in Win 38Super +P brass with Win Primer and a MG 115gr JHP, OAL 1.240", crimp 0.378", 170 PF.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Too much sizing lube on rifle brass will cause little dimples, like you described, when you run them into the sizing die. Maybe there is too much oil in the chamber? Firing a few rounds will burn up the oil or help it work its way out. This would explain why the problem disappears after a dozen rounds.

Unburned powder flakes/grains are not large enough or hard enough to cause damage to the casing. In addition, the problem would get worse the more you fired the gun.

Try wiping out the chamber (and bore) with a dry patch before you start shooting next time and see if your problem goes away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts