1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about safely checking underneath the bed? I figure it can't be slow and meticulous like a corner. How do you do it? Do you do it?

------------------
Today is the first day of the end.

Have you hugged your loved ones today?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
There's an easier way to solve that problem. Just have the box springs and mattress right on the floor. Saves money and also avoids telltale noise with thin walls and priggy neighbors when the significant other and you do the horizontal tango.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
332 Posts
i stopped being worried about monsters under the bed when i was 6.

just store junk underneath it so you don't have to check it....or, you can do what Kevan said. sleep tight.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Originally posted by BOLANTEJ:
just store junk underneath it so you don't have to check it.

------------------
The defensive firearm is a special-purpose piece of safety rescue equipment, designed to extricate a person . . . from the immediate threat of savagely violent crime. It is like the fire extinguisher. . . . Neither piece of equipment will do you any good if you don't know how to use it or are not psychologically prepared to face danger with that gear in your trained hands in a terror situation.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I roll a rubber ball under the bed and wait. If it comes rolling back to me, I know there is someone hiding there. No - wait - that was a scary movie I saw once.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't have to look under the bed. That's where the dragon lives.

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

·
Registered
441 Posts
Three options come to mind:

1) lay atop the bed and peer over from the edge. If there's a "bad guy" under there, he won't know what direction you're coming from (since he can't see your feet), so chances are two in three (with headboard to wall) you'll see him before he sees you. Also, if he's armed, it's very difficult to launch a shot vertically, since there is usually very little room to maneuver underneath beds.

2)- In the past I have dropped to a "push up" position as from the the bed as possible to grab a quick peek. The advantage here is you can usually spring up faster than if you're down on one of two knees, and if you practice it, you can drop down quickly, perhaps quickly enough to surprise any perp.

3) let the dogs in the bedroom first. You can believe that if there's someone under a bed, any ol' mutt will sniff him out.

Or you can just roll a flashbang under there
and see if someone yells "ouch".

ACP

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have boxes of out of season clothes we put under our bed and that doesn't leave any room for a BG unless he moves the boxes out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I figure the boogeyman will get him, so I don't need to look.
Actually, as low as my bed sits to the ground, only the very smallest of people would fit under it. I have a very small American Eskimo (14 lbs.) who will wedge herself under there at times. I have to lift the bed up to get her out of there.

Steve

------------------
"Not having thought what should have been thought, not having said what should have been said, not doing what should have been done, I beg thee forgive me, O Father." paraphrase from the 13th Warrior

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Neil and Shane45--Now THOSE were great answers! I kind of look for the mist coming out from under the bed. Or listen for the cackling.....

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Handle this space just like any other. Keep your muzzle pointed at the potential threat area and maximize your distance from it.

Rosco

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
"I know you're there. Get out from under the bed now. Otherwise I'll unleash the dog." Then make a barking noise 'Bow Wow, Bow Wow.....' It always work for the non K-9 unit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I normally just run in and jump on the bed about 3 time (I weigh 210) stick the barrel under the bed and cap off two rounds, then yell "Come out MF>" Just kidding I have a low profile bed and sooo much junk under it only a fool would try to hide under there.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just never clean under the bed. That way, no criminal, no matter how degenerate, would dare crawl under there. When I have to retrieve things, I just toss in a couple of flashbangs to stun the denizens of that dark space, grab what I need, and then get out before they recover.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm not sure everyone took the problem seriously.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Fire. There is nothing like a bed fire to get all the critters, 8 legged, 6, 4, or 2 out from under the bed. If you choose not to use fire, a nail on the end of a really long stick might work well. Or, just set about 10-20 rat traps under there. That should be a lot of fun should anyone decide to hide there.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Run a water hose under the bed, turn it on full, and play the soundtrack from the Titanic. Then start screaming for the life boats.....

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gotta admit, I love some of these replies!! Now for my 0.5 cents:

If you just have to do it, do it as you pie the room. It does require dropping down low to look as you go, and slows you down a little. Other option is do the room fully (which will expose you to the BedBeast, but hopefully you'll hear him move to re-establish his sight picture of your knees) then go low and make a one time scan. If you do it from far enough away, you shouldn't have to drop to pushup position, just kneeling.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts