1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently able to pick up this pistol and the slide does not match the frame. Would it be worth it to try and find a US&S slide? If so, where would be a good resource to look for one? Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
78,647 Posts
If it was my pistol I would. You still need more parts than just the slide, such as the trigger, grips and maybe more, but having a US&S slide would make it a lot more appealing. The current one is a WW1-era Colt slide which is unhardened and with aftermarket sights, and thus not good for much.

·
Premium Member
17,040 Posts
I think your frame is also original finish, although worn, so a similarly worn slide might be a little easier on the wallet. Plus your Parkerized 1918 Colt M1911 slide still has some sale value.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I was recently able to pick up this pistol and the slide does not match the frame. Would it be worth it to try and find a US&S slide? If so, where would be a good resource to look for one? Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks!
mallard,

Yes,...Nice find ! (And, Nice Pictures !!)

As you may know, there are three different US&S slides. It looks like you need a No "P" Slide.

Also, (along with what dsk mentioned) looks like you need a Barrel ("HS") and a Slide Stop. Show us the detail (checkering on your Hammer and Mainspring Housing) for further verification.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all replies, what would be the era of this slide? Would it have any value at all? It does have a small H stamped above the firing pin stop, not sure what that's for. Thanks again and I will start my search for a no P US&S slide!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for all replies, what would be the era of this slide? Would it have any value at all? It does have a small H stamped above the firing pin stop, not sure what that's for. Thanks again and I will start my search for a no P US&S slide!
The "H" stamp is for Frank Hosmer, who was an inspector at Colt.
Your slide is likely from late 1918 to 1919 (going by location of the pony, font, and front cuts, and that he used that stamp until 1919).

I won't speculate as to value, someone else can handle that!

·
Premium Member
17,040 Posts
I'm afraid I unwittingly implied a level of value for your M1911 slide - I didn't notice the aftermarket sights. You might be able to get $200 for it. If the barrel is an HS, you would save it for the US&S along with all the other slide parts, at least until you know they're not US&S. Most likely you would re-use the firing pin/spring, stop plate and extractor. The bushing you would want to be US&S.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
mallard,

The COLT Slide pictured on your US&S receiver is a 1918 slide, starting at about serial number No 260000 (Clawson). And, used into early 1919. (Note, it has the larger 7/64" right side Roll-Stamp.)

Most likely, the slide was modified to install the non-standard Front Sight.

Best Regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts