1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I'm pondering one of these two 1911s (it has no dedicated purpose right now) and want to know people's thoughts.

Pros of S&W:
1. Very well dehorned (have the blue, slick-slide version).
2. Cheaper ($700 vs $1000 approximately).
3. Smith is on a roll lately.
4. Undercut trigger guard (feels really good).

Cons of S&W:
1. Strange gap under sight.
2. FPS (it can come out though right?).
3. Front cocking serrations (tolerable on full-size, yucky on commander)

Pros of Springer:
1. Finish (though I'm not thrilled about the green).
2. Smooth front strap (TRP almost caused blood loss with its checkering).
3. Can takes lots of shooting since it's heavy.

Cons of Springer:
1. Expensive.
2. Springers used to be super-sharp...how's their dehorning lately?
3. Have no real use for ambi-safeties
4. Is this gun competition legal in IDPA/IPSC with it's weight?

Both of these companies have good reputations for customer service, so I should be ok on that front. I'm partly tempted to wait and see what Smith comes out with later in the year (rumored rail gun, I'm hoping for a commander w/o FCS). I've very concerned with the springer being sharp, that's a huge pet peeve of mine, however the TRP in the shop was pretty decent, much to my surprise...though the checkering was horrible (pain wise, not quality wise)...I can't imagine it being pleasant to shoot.

And, needless to say...pics have great influence on me... :cool:

Thanks...

Howard

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I have both and my nod goes to the MC Op over 4000 rounds with nary a problem and match accuracy. The Sc is an easier carrying gun for sure, the MC Op is my duty gun so the 10 or 11 extra Oz.'s are hardly noticeable.
I do not think the MC op is IDPA/IPSC legal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
MC Operator vs. SW 1911

I really like my MC Operator. It is a tad heavier, but I like the weight and the accuracy of this pistol.

I also have a Springer Champion GI .45 I've done a little work on. It works very well, also. Note: no front cocking serrations. The accuracy of this one is very surprising.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How dehorned are the MC operators? I was pleasantly surprised with a TRP I handled since springers are/were normally very sharp? I know the smiths are well-dehorned and would like to know if springfield has finally taken care of that problem?

Howard

·
Registered
60 Posts
MC Operator

howardw said:
How dehorned are the MC operators? I was pleasantly surprised with a TRP I handled since springers are/were normally very sharp? I know the smiths are well-dehorned and would like to know if springfield has finally taken care of that problem?

Howard
Howard:

Mine has no really sharp edges. Everything except the light rail is lightly rounded. I really like this pistol.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Go for the MC Op. Springfield has an excellent lifetime warranty & these guns rock. I've got more than 2k thru mine with no one single issue. BTW, I dumped the ambi-safety for an Ed Brown "tactical" safety. I'm pretty sure the MC Op is now IDPA legal according to the '05 rule book, as Wilson couldn't "exclude" their new mid-rail gun either ;)

Also, if you dump the steel lined Pachmyr grips it comes with and replace them with slim-line wood grips, you can shave at least 2-3oz from the gun and definately make weight, but I think the gun makes weight as stock from the factory as well.

Regarding the price, look around, as I picked mine up for $850 NIB last October.

w/ CompTac "Locking Paddle" holster

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There seems to be a trend here...

That is one good looking gun for sure. How hard was it to swap safeties? I actually don't care for the ambi-safety and would considering doing such a thing if possible. I don't mean taking it apart, that's not too bad, but rather is there fitting to be done?

Now to find one...

Howard

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is a touch of filling on the safety itself. Search around as there are a couple of threads with general guidelines on how to do it. However, we are talking about the guns safety and if you have any doubt or question in your ability, let a gunsmith fit it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
TXAGGIECHL said:
Go for the MC Op. Springfield has an excellent lifetime warranty & these guns rock. I've got more than 2k thru mine with no one single issue. BTW, I dumped the ambi-safety for an Ed Brown "tactical" safety. I'm pretty sure the MC Op is now IDPA legal according to the '05 rule book, as Wilson couldn't "exclude" their new mid-rail gun either ;)

Also, if you dump the steel lined Pachmyr grips it comes with and replace them with slim-line wood grips, you can shave at least 2-3oz from the gun and definately make weight, but I think the gun makes weight as stock from the factory as well.

Regarding the price, look around, as I picked mine up for $850 NIB last October.

w/ CompTac "Locking Paddle" holster

What holster is that? How is the finish of the operator holding up?

·
Registered
610 Posts
E-mail inbound with more information ;)

FWIW, the caption says its a Comptac Locking Paddle Holster ;)

http://www.comp-tac.com

Here's some quick pic's I just snapped, including the side/top profile of the Locking Paddle holster from Comp-Tac, as their website is kinda lacking for pics.

FWIW, This picture (above) probably represents the best pic of the true color of the OD green frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts