1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Colt 45 Series 70 Government model I bought new in 1972. It probably only has a few hundred rounds through it. It recently started occasionally ejecting cases onto my head, into my face, and sometimes a little to the left. It also started stovepiping. Then it started on the last round to jam as in the attached picture - it seems to be riding over the ejector with the extractor still holding it against the breech. The slide is all the way back locked open. The magazines used were Kimber and Wilson Combat. The ammo was Winchester white box FMJ and PMC FMJ. I tried switching out the ejector for a Wilson Combat stainless "Bullet Proof" (that may hold the case slightly tighter), but it still jams. I took it to two "gunsmiths". One said it shot fine and I was probably "limp wristing" (not true). A friend of mine also shot it and it jammed. Another gun shop didn't want to look at it and said it probably just needed cleaning (not true) as "these guns are finicky about being clean" (not true). The ejector looks normal to me. The end has about a 45 degree angle back and everything looks straight. I searched the internet and could not find this type of jam. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Put in a heavier main spring in the mainspring housing. And a longer ejector rod.

·
Premium Member
11,558 Posts
My Colt.. recently started occasionally ejecting cases onto my head, into my face, and sometimes a little to the left. It also started stovepiping. Then it started on the last round to jam as in the attached picture - it seems to be riding over the ejector with the extractor still holding it against the breech....
Is your ejector intact? Worn, chipped, broken? Compare yours to the photos in this post - https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4595839&postcount=9

·
Registered
126 Posts
Install/fit new ejector, new extractor and new main spring. If all that doesn't help (it should) then trade in the pistol for an ATI.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thing I would check
In addition to the above, does the extractor have enough tension to hold a loaded round against the breach face. With the slide off, slide a loaded round under the extractor and rotate the slide, does the round stay flush against the breech face, if it doesn't, you need to add tension to, if it does
Check the ejector if it's loose, one of the legs might have broken

And last are the spring original to the gun, if they are replace them, they are 40 years old and might have died
Replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 16.5 lbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your ejector intact? Worn, chipped, broken? Compare yours to the photos in this post - https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4595839&postcount=9
No, the ejector looks good - no chips - pins intact - flush to the frame. It fits better to the slide than those in the photo in the post you supplied. Not quite as good as the final photo of a refitted oversize ejector. (Thank you very much for that post!! - I couldn't find anything like it in my search of the internet.) The only thing I see is very slight wear - like a scratch - on the top right edge where the cases have been overriding the ejector.

It's a very reasonable possibility that the problem IS the ejector missing the case, but I don't understand why it suddenly started with no visible problem - almost like it was a flaw in the design and I have been lucky all these years until now. Also I don't understand why it is on the last round, the non-last-round jams are usually stovepipes. It seems like with the magazine empty, the case could actually fall lower, which would give the ejector a better chance to hit it??

I can't take any further pictures right now. I left a jam in the gun and am planning to take it to a gun shop soon with the jam in place.

The original ejector looked good, but I switched it out for a Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" ejector. I ran the suggested test of the slide off and the ejector holding a round and both passed, but the Wilson Combat was slightly better.

Why would new springs make any difference? The gun cycles fine and stays open on the last round.

Thanks for all the advice. This has been very frustrating - not seeing any damage, two gun shops not giving me any satisfaction, and not enough money to send it to a custom shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts