1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recognize this frame. It has a Colt slide. It also has a thin plate on the right side under the grip and covering the notch cut above the trigger.

Thanks,

CarolinaCBob

IMAGE_00038.jpg

IMAGE_00039.jpg

IMAGE_00040.jpg

IMAGE_00041.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Almost looks like someone either did, or attempted a double action conversion and then it was converted back to SA ???????? Just a guess........

·
Premium Member
11,655 Posts
Looks like an ODI Viking frame. Those were around in the early 80s as a factory produced version of the Seecamp double action system. They were not well regarded for various reasons.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I remember seeing a Seecamp conversion years ago it looked like that one. Apparently it was for double/single action shooting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd say this is a Viking frame. It's a licensed copy of the Seecamp conversion. When the company went belly up, the leftover parts were sold... I believe to Essex. Quite a few frames were sold off as kits. Quality was suspect from what I remember, but do recall a couple of people that were please with their builds (Note that the original Seecamp conversions are true masterpieces). Looks like the pivoting trigger was removed on this one. I've read that people converted theirs back to single action, as the double action was to heavy. Nice part of the conversion was that the firing system worked the same as a typical 1911. The pivoting trigger cocked the hammer, but the standard trigger released the hammer. Don't know what it would be worth in this shape. The trigger and transfer bar would be near impossible to find. Probably have to have them built. As is, I'd maybe go $300.00.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
It might be a Viking, but it sure looks like my old Seecamp. I had one made by Seecamp shortly after they started doing it and the mods to that 1911 frame are identical to it. Mine was a Commander, aluminum, and he had to put a steel feed ramp in because as Rangemaster and firearms training officer at the time, I did a lot of shooting. I always carried it in halfcock condition because trigger pull from that position was much better than with hammer full down. I sold it to my partner when I retired, and he sold it to a gun shop when he retired. Sure wish I had it back!

Bob

·
Registered
21,991 Posts
Agree with gene...

There was a gun sort of like that circulating the gun shows here a few years ago, except it had the ODI slide, too. Either they had a stripped ODI frame or could not make the rough DA kit parts work that were sold off after the Viking operation folded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All the "true" Seecamp conversions I've seen had a hook in the front of the trigger guard. Then his initials (LWS) would be stamped on one side of the hook. Pretty sure that was on all of this work, that's why I'd say it is a Viking frame. Out of curiosity does it have a traditional grip safety and mainspring housing? Some of the Seecamps had a one piece unit that did away with the functioning of the grip safety.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
Yeah, ODI. That's the second one that I've seen with the DA bits removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information. I ran across this in a local gun/pawn shop and was just wondering what it was. It has a grip safety. but it appeared to have been pinned down. The owner did not know what it was, but he wanted $300.00 for it.

Thanks again,

CarolinaCBob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts