1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to the range and fired 200 rounds through the new pistol. No malfunctions but did have two rounds nose dive into feed ramp when changing magazines and slingshotting slide. Both were with one mag. When the mag was not fully loaded (8 round mag loaded with 7 rounds) even that mag functioned.
Pistol is quite accurate. At 20 yards I was able to shoot two strings of 40 rounds through the same hole (80 rounds). The hole was approx. 2 inches with 5 flyer's, though they were most in the black. This was just a function excercise and a break in type session. After the session I delivered the pistol to my Gunsmith for bluing. I decided to go with a high polish rust blue. He is also going to remove the slide/frame overlap (both Caspian). He says the pistol is properly fitted up, that the overlap is simply the slide too long and needs to be filed down and polished. I also felt the Kart barrel chamber was leaving a few marks on the cases - so he's polishing the chamber. Also every case fired had a slight dent where they are striking something. He will look into that also. The dent is no big deal to me as the pistol functioned flawless. After the pistol is finished I'll post a few pictures.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
mes228 said:
No malfunctions but did have two rounds nose dive into feed ramp when changing magazines and slingshotting slide.
Hmmmm, we may be behind the times, but out here in the Ozarks we still call top round feedramp stoppages.......malfunctions.:hrm:

Assuming the mag and ammo aren't mongrels, I'd check with your smith for the specific feedramp angle and depth. He should be happy to comply and will probably be pleased that you were astute enough to inquire.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bob Rodgers said:
Hmmmm, we may be behind the times, but out here in the Ozarks we still call top round feedramp stoppages.......malfunctions.:hrm:

Assuming the mag and ammo aren't mongrels, I'd check with your smith for the specific feedramp angle and depth. He should be happy to comply and will probably be pleased that you were astute enough to inquire.
Why don't you be a good fella and tell him what the specs are before he calls his smith. That way he knows if his smith is leading him along.;)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Custom

You are correct, even here in Virginia a failure to feed is a malfunction. Every FTF has been from slingshotting the first round from the magazine. My local Gunsmith is not the builder of the pistol. The pistol was built by 10X in Florida. I received the pistol in the white. The pistol has not failed to empty any magazine by firing, when the first round ends up in the chamber. I think the "nose dive" into the feed ramp is magazine related. The four McCormick mags that came with the pistol, all seem really gritty and just not "slick". All do function though. In comparing magazines, a Novak I have ,and a Wilson 47, seem to be far slicker in function. I'm accumulated several odd mags from prior pistols. I think the Novak is a very good mag.

·
Registered
67 Posts
what do you mean when you say the case has a dent from striking something? could it be from smacking the ejector?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pistol

I don't know what the cases are striking. However, they definitely strike something. Ever case fired has a small dent about half way down the case. I've never seen this before so have no clue. My Gunsmith is going to look for the problem. I'm not sure it's a problem but it is not normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts