1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At range this summer, dude took table next to mine and pulled new AR-15 out of the box and proceeded to load magazines.

I asked him if it was a new rifle, he said Yep, just left the gun store.
Then I asked him if he cleaned it yet.
He said no. I asked him to move a few tables away from me.

He got puzzled, almost insulted look on his face and asked why.
Told him if there's any factory dirt/grease/metal particles in that barrel,
it's going to blow up on first shot.
Didn't believe me that a new gun could be dirty, so I ran a freshly cleaned bore snake through his rifle and he couldn't believe how much gunk stuck to it.

He went home and cleaned the rifle, came back next day.
I too generally clean a new to me gun before shooting it for the first time.

I say generally, because I always carefully inspect a new to me gun before taking it to the range. Sometimes they are pretty clean and just get a quick run of oil on a rag through the barrel.

But I have bought "new, unissued" antique military rifles that had so much cosmoline in the barrel and elsewhere that they took hours to clean.

Always check a new to you gun for cleanliness, and especially barrel obstructions. May save your life. Many shooters don't seem to know that.

chris

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's cool that you ruled things out.

My father has a 3" Kimber that I've shot before and was very, very impressed with how well it ran for me. Gun handled great and accuracy was much to my liking. I'm a fan of .45 1911 in all sizes and didn't find it to be overly snappy. Hoping to shoot it again during some range sessions with him later this month.

I've had some dirty guns create some issues.

I remember when I was breaking in this gun in accordance with the instructions that LB said to follow.

Even with frequent wipe downs and reapplying the recommended CLP it was filled with crud once I finally field stripped it.

Ran much smoother after that, too.

Clean & well-lubed gun is a happy gun, right ? :rock:

I'm gonna go back and read through your initial thread. I know that I'm going to run into all sorts of problems once I get my gear up and running.....good to see the advice given on some of these threads.

This is a great place to learn. Very grateful for the membership here.
I too love 1911's in all sizes. And this Ultra had some teething problems, but it's all sorted now and is a real pleasure to shoot.

And reloading for it allows me to tailor loads to my liking, and my gf's.

chris

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Speaking of crud, it never ceases to amaze me when folks bring a brand new gun to the range, complete with all the factory grease intact. They load it up and the failures begin. I always have my cleaning gear with me and occasionally I’ll help them out if they are receptive. It’s nice to get a “Gee, thanks mister” every now and then. What’s not nice is the caked on crud that has to be removed, especially if they are using really dirty ammo. The byproduct is that I get to teach them the correct way to clean and care for their weapon. Clearly, their dad didn’t take the time. Some have no idea and don’t even own a cleaning kit!
Caked on crud??? On a new gun??? I call BS......unless it's some POS Eastern Bloc war relic.

I unpack more new guns in a week than most folks will ever see in a lifetime. Been doing so for the last 5 years. In those 5 years, I have never....not once.....have I seen a gun packed in grease. It simply doesn't happen. It may have in the distant past.....but it doesn't happen today. 100% of every new gun I've unpacked....and it's literally thousands of every brand imaginable....is coated with a light oil.

·
Premium Member
8,342 Posts
No one said “packed in grease”.
The factory lube that weapons are shipped with is not the optimal lubricant to have in the crevices of a new weapon when firing. Metal particles, polishing rouge and the like are all over the place. Since you unpack that many weapons, you probably have tunnel vision. I doubt that you do anything more than rack the slide and check the barrrel for obstructions. In almost every case of a new weapon that I have taken possession of, the internals are filthy, and yes, they have a heavier weight of lube than standard gun oil.
There is a reason that the manuals shipped with the weapon caution you to clean the gun thoroughly before firing. “Caked” may have been a bad word to use in my earlier statement, but crud, glop and crap are accurate. Those descriptors are not present after the weapon has been properly cleaned. Aside from cheap ammo, not cleaning a new weapon is the number one reason I have seen for failures. Usually screwing up slide function.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
No one said “packed in grease”.
The factory lube that weapons are shipped with is not the optimal lubricant to have in the crevices of a new weapon when firing. Metal particles, polishing rouge and the like are all over the place. Since you unpack that many weapons, you probably have tunnel vision. I doubt that you do anything more than rack the slide and check the barrrel for obstructions. In almost every case of a new weapon that I have taken possession of, the internals are filthy, and yes, they have a heavier weight of lube than standard gun oil.
There is a reason that the manuals shipped with the weapon caution you to clean the gun thoroughly before firing. “Caked” may have been a bad word to use in my earlier statement, but crud, glop and crap are accurate. Those descriptors are not present after the weapon has been properly cleaned. Aside from cheap ammo, not cleaning a new weapon is the number one reason I have seen for failures. Usually screwing up slide function.
You used the words "factory grease", ergo the implication "packed in grease".

No one uses grease any more. No one. "Crud, Glop, crap"?......Never seen it.....not in unboxing and inspecting literally thousands of guns.

OTOH.....you may be right as we don't carry HiPoint, Taurus or any other bargain basement POS guns.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The way I read Nitro's post is that post firing crud needs to be cleaned after powder residue gets in the factory storage/shipping lube. You seemed to hone in on the "grease" comment. I know what he meant...factory storage/shipping lube. Sticky heavy viscosity oil. No not really grease, but that stuff lives in the netherworld between grease & oil.
Uninformed new owner is cursing his brand new POS gun for jamming because... it hasn't been cleaned at all. I've seen it too.

Unpacking an Armscor/RIA? Unreal.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
The way I read Nitro's post is that post firing crud needs to be cleaned after powder residue gets in the factory storage/shipping lube. You seemed to hone in on the "grease" comment. I know what he meant...factory storage/shipping lube. Sticky heavy viscosity oil. No not really grease, but that stuff lives in the netherworld between grease & oil.
Uninformed new owner is cursing his brand new POS gun for jamming because... it hasn't been cleaned at all. I've seen it too.

Unpacking an Armscor/RIA? Unreal.
Sticky heavy oil??? On a new gun?? Not in my experience either.

Good Lord.....what are you guys buying??? Cause it's not a Smith, a Ruger, a Brown, a Colt, a Springfield, a Wesson, a Walther, an HK,a Benelli, a Guerrini, a Browning, any AR, a SIG, a Kimber, a Henry, a Winchester, a CZ, a Wilson, a Nighthawk, a Sauer, an FN....

What guns are you guys buying that are covered in a sticky heavy oil??? Cause it ain't any that I've ever unpacked nor is it any of those brands listed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sticky heavy oil??? On a new gun?? Not in my experience either.

Good Lord.....what are you guys buying??? Cause it's not a Smith, a Ruger, a Brown, a Colt, a Springfield, a Wesson, a Walther, an HK,a Benelli, a Guerrini, a Browning, any AR, a SIG, a Kimber, a Henry, a Winchester, a CZ, a Wilson, a Nighthawk, a Sauer, an FN....

What guns are you guys buying that are covered in a sticky heavy oil??? Cause it ain't any that I've ever unpacked nor is it any of those brands listed.
I bought a Kimber a few years ago, and couldn't believe how filthy it was when I field stripped it. And yes, it was a new gun.

I was pretty p.o.'d and called them to ask how a new gun left the factory that dirty. The response was they got a lot of calls about the guns having not been proof fired, due to being too clean, so they quit cleaning them after firing and before shipping. BS excuse in my opinion, more likely cost cutting measures.

And the gun did have a heavy oil of some type, surely to prevent rust. But it was way beyond dirty!

chris

·
Premium Member
8,342 Posts
Within the last two years, Two Sigs, A Henry and a Desert Eagle. ALL OF THEM had slightly gritty residue mixed in with a heavy “packing oil” (since there is a problem with using “grease” to describe it). The Henry’s action was pretty stiff and I was amazed at the particulate matter that was removed from the innards when it was disassembled. Smooth as silk with a nice coating of Browning oil afterwards. Ever disassemble a Desert Eagle? Didn’t think so......that’s grease dammit! Sigs were pretty clean, but still, there was residue that needed to be removed.
Otto, is it your practice to strip down and clean all weapons that make it to your shop? Nope on that one either? Then how would you know what the innards are like? Choice is yours, but there is a sufficient amount of crap and “packing” oil that should be cleaned before firing a new weapon. I wonder why the manufacturer recommends doing this......just to piss everyone off?

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Within the last two years, Two Sigs, A Henry and a Desert Eagle. ALL OF THEM had slightly gritty residue mixed in with a heavy “packing oil” (since there is a problem with using “grease” to describe it). The Henry’s action was pretty stiff and I was amazed at the particulate matter that was removed from the innards when it was disassembled. Smooth as silk with a nice coating of Browning oil afterwards. Ever disassemble a Desert Eagle? Didn’t think so......that’s grease dammit! Sigs were pretty clean, but still, there was residue that needed to be removed.
Otto, is it your practice to strip down and clean all weapons that make it to your shop? Nope on that one either? Then how would you know what the innards are like? Choice is yours, but there is a sufficient amount of crap and “packing” oil that should be cleaned before firing a new weapon. I wonder why the manufacturer recommends doing this......just to piss everyone off?
OCD is an affliction for sure. Anal is as anal does. One man's clean is another man's filthy. You and I are clearly on opposite sides of the spectrum. I bought more guns last week than you bought last year. None of em needed cleaning prior to firing.

Happy scrubbing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The coating on RIA firearms is a shipping/anti rust item.
Meant to be cleaned before using.
They ship them from the Philippines so they may need it depending on shipping method.
Always inspect/clean and lube before shooting the first time, new or old.

·
Premium Member
8,342 Posts
OCD is an affliction for sure. Anal is as anal does. One man's clean is another man's filthy. You and I are clearly on opposite sides of the spectrum. I bought more guns last week than you bought last year. None of em needed cleaning prior to firing.

Happy scrubbing.
Choice is your pal and I really don’t care how many guns you bought for your store last week, they are not yours personally and you are not in the business of cleaning them. I did a bit of reading on the subject, and you sir, are in the vast minority with your mindset. Several smiths go so far as to say that 85% of weapons brought to them for function issues are directly related to not removing the anti corrosion material and cutting residue. Granted, they are filthy when they get them, but I have pulled out stuff that I never see when cleaning a previously maintained gun. Do what you want. You are probably also one of those guys that just throws his guns into the safe when done and cleans them once in a blue moon. The process is far from OCD.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Choice is your pal and I really don’t care how many guns you bought for your store last week, they are not yours personally and you are not in the business of cleaning them. I did a bit of reading on the subject, and you sir, are in the vast minority with your mindset. Several smiths go so far as to say that 85% of weapons brought to them for function issues are directly related to not removing the anti corrosion material and cutting residue. Granted, they are filthy when they get them, but I have pulled out stuff that I never see when cleaning a previously maintained gun. Do what you want. You are probably also one of those guys that just throws his guns into the safe when done and cleans them once in a blue moon. The process is far from OCD.
Nope. You would be wrong. Again. I personally bought 10 guns last week. Not for the store. For me. And not 1 of them needed anything more than to lube em, load em and shoot em.

You can scrub your guns till the cows come home. They're yours. But you do so not because it's necessary. You do it because you're OCD. Something irrational within you compels you to clean a new gun. It's okay. Lots of folks live with the condition and lead relatively normal.lives. You'll be fine. Really.

And yes.....my Baer TRS runs just fine after no cleaning for the last 8,000 rounds. I rarely clean guns. Almost never. Run a bore snake through them and wipe em down, that's all that's needed. Anything else is simply a waste of my time.

Shoot more clean less. That's why we have smokeless powder.

·
Premium Member
6,073 Posts
You used the words "factory grease", ergo the implication "packed in grease".

No one uses grease any more. No one. "Crud, Glop, crap"?......Never seen it.....not in unboxing and inspecting literally thousands of guns.

OTOH.....you may be right as we don't carry HiPoint, Taurus or any other bargain basement POS guns.

I worked in a shop for a number of years and unpacked guns too. They weren't packed in cosmolene or the like as you imply was said, but they sure didn't come packed in simple oil either. It was invariably a thick, tacky, type of oil based product probably full of anti-rust and anti-corrosion inhibitors. It was a pain in the ass to clean off, which had to be done for any of the guns going on display. The stuff had a godawful stink to it too, and even after a thorough scrubbing with soap and hot water, that smell stayed on the skin for a couple days. Saw it on Colt, Ruger, S&W, Remington, etc.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I worked in a shop for a number of years and unpacked guns too. They weren't packed in cosmolene or the like as you imply was said, but they sure didn't come packed in simple oil either. It was invariably a thick, tacky, type of oil based product probably full of anti-rust and anti-corrosion inhibitors. It was a pain in the ass to clean off, which had to be done for any of the guns going on display. The stuff had a godawful stink to it too, and even after a thorough scrubbing with soap and hot water, that smell stayed on the skin for a couple days. Saw it on Colt, Ruger, S&W, Remington, etc.
It's not any longer. Just a light oil these days.

·
Premium Member
8,342 Posts
:biglaugh: 8000 rounds without cleaning your gun?
You have either made that up, or simply place no value on a nice weapon. I would take a bit more pride in the ownership of a Baer.
I suppose you just "add oil" to your car too. No sense in changing it, it'll be new after you add 5 quarts!!

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
:biglaugh: 8000 rounds without cleaning your gun?
You have either made that up, or simply place no value on a nice weapon. I would take a bit more pride in the ownership of a Baer.
I suppose you just "add oil" to your car too. No sense in changing it, it'll be new after you add 5 quarts!!
I know!!! Bugs the crap outta you doesn't it!!!

·
Premium Member
8,342 Posts
It does, and I will absolutely admit that it is a bad character flaw.
My father used to ask me the question "You don't suffer fools gladly do you?"
Not sure why, but it drives me crazy when I see people doing stupid stuff!
Nothing personal with my posts...just my jerk way of getting my opinion across!

·
Registered
23,542 Posts
Ten personal gun purchases in a week!

Nope. You would be wrong. Again. I personally bought 10 guns last week. Not for the store. For me. And not 1 of them needed anything more than to lube em, load em and shoot em.

You can scrub your guns till the cows come home. They're yours. But you do so not because it's necessary. You do it because you're OCD. Something irrational within you compels you to clean a new gun. It's okay. Lots of folks live with the condition and lead relatively normal.lives. You'll be fine. Really.

And yes.....my Baer TRS runs just fine after no cleaning for the last 8,000 rounds. I rarely clean guns. Almost never. Run a bore snake through them and wipe em down, that's all that's needed. Anything else is simply a waste of my time.

Shoot more clean less. That's why we have smokeless powder.
Pretty impressive Otto!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts