1911Forum banner

Update on CCI primers

7K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Nitro.45 
#1 ·
I finally got around to loading some 185's again with the CCI 300 lp primers, and went to the range yesterday. First a brief background.

For those that hadn't seen the previous thread, I had loaded some of these primers in 185gr XTP's laddered up to 5.5gr (which I now know is very light) at an oal of 1.245" and my 3" Ultra failed to cycle when they were shot. 50 rds and only one ejected.

Back to the update, I loaded these rounds again to the same specs (no ladder this time, just 5.5gr) as well as some with WLP's, ten rounds of each for a total of twenty rounds. Except for the primers, all rounds were loaded the same as previously per my notes.

The CCI primed rounds shot fine, were reasonably accurate at seven yards (a fist sized group after drinking a pot of coffee :eek:), and felt very light. The WLP primed rounds were just the same. All twenty rounds fed and cycled the pistol without a problem. I shot five of each, then watched my gf shoot five of each to observe the ejection pattern. All were consistent in ejecting and had we not been at an indoor range I would think they would have landed about 3-5 feet away somewhere between 3 and 4 o'clock.

So why did they turn my gun into a single shot the first time? Well, it obviously wasn't a primer issue.

My thoughts are that the first time I tried these loads my gun failed to cycle due to being dirty and dry, as in somewhere around 600 rounds without cleaning and only a drop or two of oil on the slide. I was testing at the time to see how many rounds I could shoot before the gun failed to function. This time around the gun only had about 50 rds through it and was oiled properly. Also of note, the springs are the factory rate of 18lbs recoil and 23lbs main spring.

Or it could have been something with the reloads themselves, although I don't think so. According to my notes, the rounds shot this time felt the same as previously, and were similar in accuracy.

I also want to say that not one of the 60 CCI primed rounds failed to fire, and there were no light strikes. Every round went bang on the first trigger pull.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome as always. And remember to keep your gun clean!

chris

See less See more
#54 ·
Purchasing numerous guns....

If a person owns a lot of different handguns and rifles, he is probably a collector and a shooter.....only a few states like California, have restrictions on handguns and other weapons, and have an "approved list" for owning handguns.....

Even so, I have purchased quite a few handguns over the years, usually at a price I could not pass up, and have never lost money when I resold them a few years later....so it has been a worthwhile investment when you "buy low and sell high!" Plus, I had the enjoyment of shooting them! :) Fortunately, I do not live in CA!:eek:

#55 ·
If a person owns a lot of different handguns and rifles, he is probably a collector and a shooter.....only a few states like California, have restrictions on handguns and other weapons, and have an "approved list" for owning handguns.....

Even so, I have purchased quite a few handguns over the years, usually at a price I could not pass up, and have never lost money when I resold them a few years later....so it has been a worthwhile investment when you "buy low and sell high!" Plus, I had the enjoyment of shooting them! :) Fortunately, I do not live in CA!:eek:
Exactly.

I did well in the business world for 32 yrs. Retired at 55 and I'm at a stage in life where I can buy whatever I want, whenever I want and as frequently as I want.

Clearly there are some here who want to see the size of my bank account. Not gonna happen and I'm done with this thread.

#56 ·
Nah....not necessary, and don't get mad.
I have known a bunch of seriously crazy gun flippers in my time.
Its pretty nuts to think about an individual that buys 5 new guns every week.
I have trouble shooting what I have, I cannot fathom trying to run all that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.