1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of ya'll have been more than helpfull with my Newbie questions so I thought I would let ya'll know how I am comming with my press, It's the Lee LoadMaster and I'm setting up for .45acp. Here goes

The directions leave something to be desired,
However it wasn;t that difficult for me to set up, a couple things were a little confusing such as how the powder measure works and the sheel feeder setup, It seems to be a decent press, keep in mind I have never used a dillon or anything else. (After converting a strong bench I had to fit my needs) It took me about three hours to get it mounted and setup, including bullet seat height, primer seat depth, get the shell feeder working smoothly and the powder measure working, Now that may sound like a long time, but I am very picky and triple checked everything, I also cleaned everything during assembly and looked over each little part even taking the the sheel plate and primer feeder apart to see how it worked.
I'm not sure I have the crimp die set perfect, Or the full case die, so I am going to have someone look at some of my work tomorrow, I went through each stage one at a time. All in all, I'm happy so far! I haven't loaded any charged rounds yet I want to have someone that knows what they are looking at tell me how my rounds look first.
I can say it's not as hard as I thought it was going to be to work the ram, that or I don;t have the crimps tight enough.

Anyhow thanks for everyones help and I am sure I will be back with more questions, and maybe be able to help a newbie out one day in the future (ok maybe a long future <g> )

Tom
P.S. if ya hear a loud bang in Florida, ya know I messed up <grin>

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tom

I have a Loadmaster that's about 3 years old now. To make a long story short, after innumerable primer mechanism malfunctions and crushed cases, I threw out the whole priming system and the case feeder. Without those, it's a great progressive.

I do all my priming on a single station press equipped with an RCBS Strip Primer system. Decap and resize are done before cleaning on yet another press.

The general recommendation on crimping is that the case mouth should be .001" smaller in diameter than it was before crimping (but after you seat the bullet). You'll need an electronic caliper to measure this, which you need anyway to accurately set bullet seating depth.

The Loadmaster makes good ammo. If Lee sold it without all that plastic crap they'd have a good machine. Lee dies are excellent and reasonably priced.

Bob Hunt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by sfcbhunt:
Tom

I have a Loadmaster that's about 3 years old now. To make a long story short, after innumerable primer mechanism malfunctions and crushed cases, I threw out the whole priming system and the case feeder. Without those, it's a great progressive.

I do all my priming on a single station press equipped with an RCBS Strip Primer system. Decap and resize are done before cleaning on yet another press.

The general recommendation on crimping is that the case mouth should be .001" smaller in diameter than it was before crimping (but after you seat the bullet). You'll need an electronic caliper to measure this, which you need anyway to accurately set bullet seating depth.
snip
Bob Hunt
Thanks Bob!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts