1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going through a nightmare with Springfield right now. I purchased a TRP back in September that a couple of fairly minor issues. I sent the gun in to Springfield and while it was there I had some custom work done to it including having the ILS mainspring housing swapped for a standard unit. I get the gun back but the magwell is poorly fitted to the frame and is somewhat loose. I send the gun back for a second time and when I receive it back, everything LOOKS fine. I take the gun to the range and fire about 50 round through it. Functions flawlessly. Get home and prepare to clean the gun. This time, since it had been out of my care, I decided to do a good detail strip and thorough cleaning. After removing the grips, I punch out the mainspring housing pin but the mainspring housing doesn't budge. I apply a little light pressure to help it slide free, but it still won't budge. I would have had to get a mallet to get it out, it was in there that tight. Then I look at the mainspring housing from the rear of the pistol, one side of the mainspring housing is flush with the frame but the other side shows a slight gap. I get out the micrometer and mic the frame, at the front strap, the frame was about .015 narrower than at the back of the frame.

Now, I'm worried. I call Springfield and yet another RMA is issued. Last Monday, I send the gun back with I detailed note. Today, I get a call from Megan who says that, not to worry, nothings wrong they did that on purpose to quote "make the magwell tight". I asked her how in the world I was supposed to be able to service the gun, but she didn't know and would have to check on it. In her words, the "technician peened the mainspring housing" just as they do on their custom guns. I again disagree, since when my gun came back from the custom shop originally, the mainspring housing was still removable. Long story short, she tells me that she can't do anything else and offers no remedy to the situation. She even put me on hold while she checked with David in the custom shop. She comes back on the line and says, again quoting "he agrees with me" and that "they do this to custom guns all the time". I told her that I was still completely unsatisfied and would evaluate my options. She told me that she will have David (custom shop manager?) call me tomorrow.

This gun was BRAND NEW when I sent it to them. Now, my $1500 gun is unserviceable and Springfield is (at this point) refusing to make it right. I am actually physically sick to my stomach at this point. BTW, I would never write this message in a public forum without first giving Springfield a chance to correct the issue.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Man that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully Dave will make things right. Springfield's CS has a pretty impeccable reputation around here so don't lose hope too soon.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Sorry to hear of your trouble:(

Keep us posted. I hope David Williams will do you right. You might want to get in touch with Deb Else too, the custom shop coordinator.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
don't worry, the back of the grip being .015 wider isn't a big deal, my friend. :) they just didn't fit the MSH properly. easily fixed

i'm sure they could shave a little off the sides of the MSH, and fit it properly, or just fit a new MSH if this one's malformed. they'll take care of it. just talk to some in the custom shop (don't waster your time with the phone secretary anymore) and let them know of the measurement you took, and also what you expect. they'll take care of it.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'm sure what happend is the people you spoke with did what they could do within their power. What'll happen now is another head honcho will have to give the OK because this isn't the everyday type of occurence. Who knows maybe a new replacement gun may be in the works.

Chin up, it sucks but they should take care of you. Good luck:rock:

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I doubt you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
**update**

This morning at about 9 o'clock, I received a call from Dave Williams with Springfield's custom shop. While I was on the phone, he punched out the mainspring housing pin and quickly noticed what I'd said all along, the MSH was peened way too tightly and in his words "definitely stuck in there". Quite a different story than I received the day prior from Megan. He agreed that the repair tech had been a little over zealous in trying to tighten up the MSH fit. He assured me that the custom shop would fix the issue and that I would be satisfied with the repair.

At this point I told him about my displeasure with the condition of the MSH pin when I removed it the last time. I explained that, while it may seem somewhat petty, that when I sent a NEW gun for repair, I expected a NEW gun to be returned. The fact that the MSH pin was left in my gun in the condition that it was, shows me a severe lack of attention to detail. He again agreed and promised to "go over the gun thoroughly" before sending it out and again stated that I would be satisfied with the outcome. He told me that my gun should go out later today barring anything unforeseen and I thanked him for his willingness to help.

Obviously at this point, I'm tickled pink!! Can't wait to have the gun back and actually spend some time with it. While I will reserve final judgement for when I receive the gun and have had the chance to inspect it, I have no doubt that Dave was sincere in his intention to "make it right".

With this much of the story in the books, I'd like to point out a couple of things.

1. When Dave disassembled the gun, it was the first time it had been apart since arriving at Springfield. How did the repair department have any idea whether or not something was wrong with the gun or if the MSH was too tight or not?

2. There seems to be an IMMENSE difference, both in professionalism and competence between the repair department and the custom shop.

3. As with most companies, you got to get the right person on the phone. In this case, the "right person" was Dave and I really think we're getting the issue taken care of now.

I will post another update when the gun is in my hands and I can comment on the work itself.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
OneUp,
Thanks for the update. It's encouraging to see that SA is always willing to make it right and have the capability of making it right.

I've been shooting 1911's for almost 20 years and have used different smiths, mostly for small work here and there, and I can tell you from personal experience and what I read in these forums that Springfield appears to give the best service and repair quality.

Yeah, crap happens from time to time, but is a company able to make it right to your satisfaction without cutting corners?

I wish you the best. And give us an update when the work is done.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Every business makes mistakes. It's how they handle them that counts & looks like Springfield is A1+.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts