1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in Thread...

Well thanks to the advice I recieved here I ordered and recieved a LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die. $17.00 delivered from Midway, dang but nobody local had one.. :(

Stuck that puppy in the machine and started messing with the LWSC's..

Let's say this.. hmmm you could certainly tell where this die was striking the case by the way it fed up and down.

BIG news is the bullets actually fit in the chamber now.. :)

I had to play with the overall length but it looks like i'm going to end up around 1.245 OAL give or take a tad.. i'm going for a little longer if i can get them to feed ok.

It crimps to a .471 which is what i've been using so that was nice.

I had about 8 bullets that i had worked with, once resized and run through the LEE die i was able to get the weapon to cycle with the rounds i made.. :eek:

OH yeah.. these 8 did not have primers or powder in them :)

So im going to make some up for real and go bang with them and see what happens, think i'll make some up in varying lenght's (just a couple each) and see how things work out.

1.245 ? should that be ok pressure wise.. using 200 gr with 231 @ 4.8 gr's. crimp to .471 .. speer says 4.6/231 to start and Win says 4.8/231.. so i think i'm good.. just not sure how the lenght will affect things.

Also will be having to build up some to make major i think. but that's after getting it to feed reliably with them.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Jeff.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
It is amazing how much bulge there is on the cases. You can't see it or feel it, but it is there. Try loading some nickel cases if you want to see some bulge. Whew !!!

I find that R.P. and military brass sizes very well. I really don't have to run them thru the FCD, but do anyways.

The load you mention is just fine. I consistantly load to 1.245 with 200grn SWC over 5.1grns of 231. That is a nice allaround load with very good accuracy. I find that if I go any less I get a lot of unburned powder. Keep an eye on that. It is just a little dirtier. You will find unburned powder grains everywhere.

Enjoy,
Bob

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Rbert0005 i'll try that load and see how it works over the chrono.. If i can get the LSWC's to work that will certainly cut the cost of reloading down some.. which is a good thing. :)

Thanks again.

Jeff.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Hunterjjb,

It should work just fine. I use that load in all three of my DW's, my Colt's, and my S&W 625.

Sure saves a lot of specialty reloading.

I use it for pins, plates, paper and whatever else may come along.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts