1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up recently as a deal I couldn’t pass by. The one thing I’m never good with are slim grips, however, I’m all for making sure before changing out. I couldn’t keep a good grip due to the smooth mainspring housing, so I upgraded to the 25lpi blued model from Ed Brown. Perfect enough for me as it dropped in, and the lines aren’t too bad. I haven’t gone to the range yet, but my grip purchase seems much better. Time to give the slim grips another try before I order new ones and change the bushings. If you’re on the fence about the swap, here are some photos to help.
Camera accessory Wood Handgun holster Table Strap
Wood Gun barrel Camera accessory Gun accessory Trigger
Wood Revolver Gun barrel Handgun holster Hardwood

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
You sure lucked out with the MSH - looks properly fit to me!
As DWboy noted you may only have to change the screws (or not) for mounting regular size grips as DW has been using universal bushings.
Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I changed out the grips on mine to the standards after also picking up my Classic and finding I like the thicker grips better. Fits my hand much better now. I used Challis bushings. I'd love to have the new Guardian MSH though. Great find!
If you get it to the range and find that you don't like it as well, give me a shout. Please :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the feedback. Range time is Friday after hunting with my pup. New grips will have to wait until after the holidays. So far with dry fire practice, I really like the MSH. The grips can be changed later. I have the same bushings on my CCO with regular width grips, so I now know that they really work. I appreciate the DW knowledge base here. May be a little late to their party, but glad I picked them up!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I put thin VZ checkered double-diamond G10 grips on my Guardian after also having replaced the MSH with a checkered one. The grips definitely do their job and are much better than the wood grips that came with the gun.It may be something to consider.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Well heck. The Wilson MSH is not compatible. The spring housing hole is to small to accept the DW spring and follower.
Sending them back.
How did the contour match the DW frame? The DW is a Bobtail and Wilson lists the MSH as a round but. Or did you not slide it in place? Im curios how the grips would line up.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
How did the contour match the DW frame? The DW is a Bobtail and Wilson lists the MSH as a round but. Or did you not slide it in place? Im curios how the grips would line up.
Didn‘t bother even sliding in place. Going to return and order the Ed Brown.
The Wilson’s were attractive due to price and I know they are quality parts.
I did notice EB doesn’t offer an aluminum bobtail MSH. Did I miss something?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts