1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a Springfield Armory Full Size stainless loaded model 1911. I bought it during a time when I really wanted a 1911 but didn't the money to get anything *really* nice. Now I have my eye on a Kimber Eclipse Target model. If I "upgrade", will I notice a bit differenct in quality, trigger crispness, and accuracy? I'm not able to shoot my Springer super accurately for some reason, it's very difficult. Is the Eclipse one of the best Kimbers if not THE best?

·
Banned
721 Posts
I think you need to learn how to shoot your SA before you go losing money on selling it/trading it only to buy another 1911 (Kimber or otherwise) and find it shoots pretty much the same. The Kimber won't be any more accurate than your Loaded. In other words, don't expect to purchase accuracy especially when you're talking about two evenly matched products.

If you're doing it because you like the looks/features better on the Kimber, that's something totally different.

But I would be hesitant to sell or trade a 1911 that functions 100% for another one. It's a gamble and you may get stuck with a lemon.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Currently I have a Springfield Armory Full Size stainless loaded model 1911. I bought it during a time when I really wanted a 1911 but didn't the money to get anything *really* nice. Now I have my eye on a Kimber Eclipse Target model. If I "upgrade", will I notice a bit differenct in quality, trigger crispness, and accuracy? I'm not able to shoot my Springer super accurately for some reason, it's very difficult. Is the Eclipse one of the best Kimbers if not THE best?
I don't know about the best Kimber, but my eclipse target II is the best gun I've ever fired. I have had a loaded model SA, and it doesn't even compare to the Kmber to me. I'm very biased, so maybe you should listen to someone else for an objective opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I have an eclipse target II which is both accurate and reliable. I love the
gun but I don't think you are doing yourself any favors dumping the SA.

Good Luck

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
You'll find that the Kimber will feel like it sits lower in your hand than the SA Loaded. The Kimber has an undercut under the trigger guard that the SA doesn't. The SA sits lower in the back but you'll notice the front more.

The Kimber trigger will be lighter. They don't use the 30# mainspring that the ILS does and they seem to be more consistent than the Loadeds. Many of the SA Loaded models of a few years back had a tendency to shoot low. It drove me crazy until I filed off about 25% of the front sight. Newer ones seem to have fixed this.

I typically don't shoot at less than 15 yards and every Kimber I've shot is more accurate than the Loaded models I've shot including my own. This becomes more evident as you get out to 25 yards and beyond. If you are only going to shoot at SD distances, then it shouldn't matter much, you won't see much difference.

Other than that, you won't be able to shave with the slide of the Kimber like you can with the edges on the SA.

Both guns should serve you well at shorter distance so it's a personal preference on what feels right to you and how you shoot the gun.

·
Banned
758 Posts
This is to funny, I just read a post in the springfield section where someone just traded their kimber in for a springfield, you guys should have gotten together and just swapped each other without loosing more bucks to the greedy gunshop owners, LOL.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it where me,,, I would keep the SF, and buy the Kimber. Save your money if you must, but do not get rid of that SF!!!

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I might not realize just what I have with that Springfield huh? I just wish it had a better trigger. A bit harsh.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds interesting. Can I do it myself? Got a link? Thanks.
If I were you, I would pay a gun smith to get a trigger job on your SA. I used to own a Loaded stainless, and the trigger was my #1 complaint- maybe I just got a bad one, but it pulled at over 6 pounds and felt gritty and cheap.

IMO the SA Loaded and the Kimber Eclipse are very similar except the trigger, however, I strongly suggest you hold an Eclipse or whatever gun and feel the trigger pull for quality.

If I were you and wanted to trade or upgrade, I would get a Kimber Raptor, Grand Raptor or Gold Combat. Now we are talking more of an upgrade! Much nicer trigger with better overall qualities. Let us know what you decide! :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Big +1 on the Raptor. I have a Classic Custom 1 that time in and time out I felt that it would shoot better than me. Got the Raptor II and was a bit worried before shooting that I just threw some money away on a gun that would not shoot as well as the Classic. At the end of the day side by side the Raptor did not let me down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sig Dude, it all depends on how much money you want to part with as far as buying another pistol. If money is an issue, find a local range that rents guns and try a few out. I am lucky to have freinds with such a flavor of guns, I get my mind made up by them LOL! If money is tight,,, the Cylinder and Slide Drop in trigger kit will make you happy. There are videos on how to brake down the 1911, just watch a few times, and bingo,,, you are in the game.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
For the record....I wouldn't call it an "upgrade".

You really are going to get rid of a gun that is on par with your future purchase? over a trigger? the Kimber won't be more accurate. The Kimber uses firing pin blocks (ugh!). Forgings lean towards SA's. Not as good a custom shop as SA. Why not save hundreds and hundreds of dollars and send your gun to SA's custom shop for a sweet trigger job and maybe a barrel bushing that fits like a glove. Get rid of the ILS for a standard MSH and spring (will drop your pull weight alone and make the trigger even smoother) ... two cheap things you can do that might bring your groups down by literally inches. the SA loaded model is a fantastic mid range priced gun...downgrade from the Kimber....hardly.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
LOL, sometimes guns can be great surprises. I just recently purchased a S/A GI model, and at 31ft, using PMC Starfire 230gr JHP, it's shooting 1/2" and under, on par with my Wilson CQB, S/A TRP, Kimber Custom II.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
If you are set on the Kimber for other issues than the accuracy issue between it and the Springer.......say, looks or whatever.....then you need to make the call that way.

As shared already and just shared......a good tigger job and maybe a custom fitted barrel bushing should bring out the inherent accuracy (which is usually good) in that Springer. My Loaded's (with the trigger work I had done) can easily match my Kimber's in accuracy, but my Kimber's shot very well right out of the box with zippo work over unless I wanted the trigger lightened for personal reasons. The Eclipse is a good shooter and the Kimber triggers are usually fine out of box.

Good luck to you whatever way you go. :rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts