1911Forum banner

Urban SHTF pack

1242 7
Hi, several questions.

I live in a large suburban area and anything rural is miles and miles (take me a few days on foot to get there) away. Chances are I won't be needing stuff like signaling mirrors and such.

1. What else do I need other than water and food??? Most of the websites out there deal with being stuck in the middle of nowhere. My most realistic scenario is an earthquake.

2. First aid--I was told not to bring anything you don't know how to use. I have zero medical knowledge other than putting a band-aid over a minor boo-boo. Should I even bother?

3. Do I need all that crap like space blankets and stuff or will having a heavy outdoors jacket and parka do? I live in southern california and haven't even seen snow in 8 years (ski trip)

The only real scenario I can see happening is getting stuck on the freeway 30 miles away from home. What should I pack in the car? Where do I go poo-poo?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
A first aid kit would be a good thing. You can pick up some good books that will help you deal with minor and sometimes major problems.

Few cans of sterno would be a good idea. Blankets, a few dry clothes, and dried food also.

I see some of those small hand pumps that purify water. See them advertised for hikers/campers. That may also be something to look into.

· Registered
856 Posts
...Geez...you need to discover ArmySurplus...
Have you ever gone camping in a remote area for a week? I mean...some place you can't drive to...
If so...Take the mini version of the pack that you'd pack for that trip. Three days Ex rations (MRE) and water...Water is a toughie 'cause it's heavy...Yes...Do get some basic medical knowledge and some equipment. Check around locally for someone teaching basic survival courses of some sort...If you can't find any Outward Bound or other courses...Go to the library or get on line and Google yerself silly gettin' info...There's PLENTY available...Good Luck..

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

· Registered
68 Posts
Good Swiss Army knife and/or Leatherman type tool is real handy anytime as is a good flashlight. A walkman type radio will can keep you informed, a compass and map of the area can give you direction. A hat and rain poncho can block wind and keep off rain and space blanket doesn't take much room and could sure make a night away from home more comfortible. A good lighter or two is handy as is some paracord. Also a good pair of thick work gloves can be very usefull. All stuff that can be handy anytime, not just in a SHTF situation. Individually wrapped wipes can keep you clean, also some small sizes of toiletries. Can make you much more comfortible and presentible if you get stuck for the night. Spare shirt, underware and socks also are nice to have.
Manny

· Registered
1,030 Posts

Also I recommend a zippo with extra flint and lighter fluid.

· Registered
480 Posts
Skunkabilly,

All the advice you have gotten so far is good. You should have some sort of basic kit in your car in case you have to set out on foot.

You should get basic first aid training too. If work in an industrial setting check with your HR department or person in charge of OSHA compliance. My company came around and asked for volunteers for First Responder Training to meet the OSHA safety standards.

I got basic life support(CPR & mouth to mouth) as well as basic first aid training. You get a day away from work with pay and in my case the company paid for the whole thing because they benefit too.

There are also websites where you can download Army survival field manuals and print them out. With careful shopping you can be pretty well prepared for not much $$$

· Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi, several questions.

I live in a large suburban area and anything rural is miles and miles (take me a few days on foot to get there) away. Chances are I won't be needing stuff like signaling mirrors and such.

1. What else do I need other than water and food??? Most of the websites out there deal with being stuck in the middle of nowhere. My most realistic scenario is an earthquake.

2. First aid--I was told not to bring anything you don't know how to use. I have zero medical knowledge other than putting a band-aid over a minor boo-boo. Should I even bother?

3. Do I need all that crap like space blankets and stuff or will having a heavy outdoors jacket and parka do? I live in southern california and haven't even seen snow in 8 years (ski trip)

The only real scenario I can see happening is getting stuck on the freeway 30 miles away from home. What should I pack in the car? Where do I go poo-poo?

Ok, you are lucky enough to survive a major earthquake. You are a couple days at least from home; assuming your home is even still there. Do you drive a 4X4? If you are worried about these sorts of scenarios, you really should be driving something that can get you around off-road.
Ok... In your vehicle...
Water. Several plastic bottles of water. Figure on drinking at least a liter a day. More if it is hot and you will be sweating.
Some power bars and candy. Calories is what you need to keep moving. Nothing fancy.
Communication: A CB radio w/extra batteries. Cell phones will be out but there will be plenty of HAM radio operators monitoring and relaying message traffic.
A transistor radio for news updates.
Flashlight w/extra batteries.
Good heavy hiking boots. (Broken in already).
Extra clothes tailored for your climate and rain gear, if appropriate.
A bivvy sack instead of a tent. You can wrap yourself in this and weather a night; using makeshift shelter better than setting up a tent. Remember, you may want to maintain a low profile, so you dont appear like a easy target. Why invite trouble, right?
If you are on foot, you want to be able to move quickly; not hauling a home away from home on your back.
IF it is really bad, you might want some sort of weapon. But remember, the National Guard and Police are not going to be sitting around on their thumbs. So, don't expect to be able to hike across L.A. carrying anything like a rifle or shotgun.
Take a first-aid class; a CPR class too.
You may be in a group with hurt people, and be the only one prepared to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.