1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at local gun shop. Appears to have been reparked , and a bit worn. Still in VG shape with HS barrel.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
US&S pistols aren't really as hard to find as some folks would want you to believe. Since they were shipped in 1943 and 55,000 were made a fair number were snuck home after the war by GIs, so while not common they're by no means as rare as say a pre-war blued Colt. One that's been refinished and/or parts swapped might be worth a little more than a Colt or Remington Rand that has suffered similar treatment, but if you're sure it's not completely original then I wouldn't get too excited about it.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
At that price they're going to be sitting on it for a long time, assuming you're correct about it being refinished.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At that price they're going to be sitting on it for a long time, assuming you're correct about it being refinished.
It's on consignment , and out of my price range anyway , so I didn't take a very close look , but the front 'half' (dust cover forward) of the slide did appear to be darker than the rest.

Counterman , a usually sharp young man , said he thought US&S were all Dulite'd.

I might go back with my Clawson book.

·
Premium Member
15,367 Posts
Sometimes the visible heat treating is a refinish clue and sometimes it's not. It has to be considered along with other clues to be con-clue-sive. :)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My US&S doesn't usually show the slide muzzle heat treatment although the flame hardening of the slide stop notch is usually prominent.

It shows most when it's coated with R.I.G. Maybe the one in the shop is oiled.

Sorry guys... this thread was driving me a bit buggy without pics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts