1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having found a M1911A1 Colt 1942, a Rem.Rand 1944, and an Ithaca (navy) Nov. 17, 1944.
I intend to try to find an US&S...
On the 55'000 made in 1943, do you know how many has been listed in circulation nowadays.
Is that right that each guns was tested 21 times and no one was rejected.
Are slide stops were always checkered or sometimes grooved.
I read that most of US&S was shipped to Navy and O.S.S.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Pertaining to the US&S 1911a1's.......all the ones that I have seen had checkered slide stops and checkered mainspring housings. The mainspring housing should have 31 +/-1 knurl from top to bottom on their 2nd row (L to R). Sometimes you will see US&Ss for sale / auction with the early Colt / Ithaca MSH which is incorrect. These have 27 +/-1 knurls from top to bottom on their 2nd row. Also, be aware that there are 3 varieties of US&S's: Type 1 - NO "P" proof stamp on slide or frame, Type 2 - "hanging" "P" on slide and "P" on frame, and Type 3 - "P" stamp on usual place on frame & slide. There are several books on the market that break down the serial number range for each variety. I'm sure others will comment to help steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pertaining to the US&S 1911a1's.......all the ones that I have seen had checkered slide stops and checkered mainspring housings. The mainspring housing should have 31 +/-1 knurl from top to bottom on their 2nd row (L to R). Sometimes you will see US&Ss for sale / auction with the early Colt / Ithaca MSH which is incorrect. These have 27 +/-1 knurls from top to bottom on their 2nd row. Also, be aware that there are 3 varieties of US&S's: Type 1 - NO "P" proof stamp on slide or frame, Type 2 - "hanging" "P" on slide and "P" on frame, and Type 3 - "P" stamp on usual place on frame & slide. There are several books on the market that break down the serial number range for each variety. I'm sure others will comment to help steer you in the right direction.
Thanks, a seller show me one supposed US&S, but in fact the slide was indeed an US&S but the inspector control of the frame was FJA ( Rem. Rand or Ithaca, and with AA ( Augusta Arsenal) not what I'm looking.
I do not know in US but here in Switzerland or generally in Europe, most of US&S I saw has been refurbished and have mixed parts, very hard to get one 100% original.
Some of them has a M1911 slide stop not a post 1924 is that correct?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts