1911Forum banner

USA 10 rd. mags always go follower up...

1757 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  KLN
i just spent last night taking apart each of my 5 u.s.a. 10 round mags for my para p14. it seems that each time they are empty, the follower goes "nose up" inside the mag body. i fixed that by re bending the spring back level. also, with these same mags, they lock the slide open on the 9th round- its kinda weird to have to hit your slide release, and then your mag release to do a speed reload. anyone else notice any other funkyness about para 10 rounder mags?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Own a Kimber CT. But here's a similar problem I've encountered with McCormick Shooting Star 8 rd .45 mags.

Seems to be hard to load the mag...sometimes after loading 3 or 4 rds, the next one will be hard to load and scrape metal shavings off the bullet head. Wilson's never have been that tight.

I've got 2 Shooting Star 8rd and 2 Wilson 7 rd, have never loaded either to capacity, usually only 6. One of the SSs have usually caused a FTF. Dediced not to use the SSs unless I have to.

Decided to get 2 more Wilsons, also 2 Mec Gars. for a try.

· Registered
3 Posts
i have found that normally USA brand mags are crap. that aside, in my P14 i've tried a few aftermarket 10 rounders. the one that worked best so far was a promag, but the other promag is too long from mag catch to feed lip and will jam every few rounds. so even they aren't perfect. the local shop is always out of mec-gar when i go so i haven't tried them yet.

the strange thing is the few aftermarket 14 round mags i have tried work fine. 2 noname gun show specials and even the 2 from tom forrest. but due to how forrest has treated friends of mine i can't endorse his products.

· Registered
275 Posts
bjdealer:

The problem you are having with McCormick magazines is probably due to excessive overall length of the round, not the magazine. If you load lead semi-wadcutters to the generally accepted length of 1.25", the problem will usually go away.

All of my McCormick mags work perfectly with rounds as long as 1.26, but 1.25 gives a little more room for error.

KLN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.