1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today ONLY, the newspaper USA TODAY is running an on-line poll to see if people believe that the 2nd Amendment guarantees and "individual" right to keep and bear arms.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/11/beat-the-high-c.html

Vote today or forever hold your head in the sand and pretend that people won't take your guns away.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
melensdad said:
Today ONLY, the newspaper USA TODAY is running an on-line poll to see if people believe that the 2nd Amendment guarantees and "individual" right to keep and bear arms.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/11/beat-the-high-c.html

Vote today or forever hold your head in the sand and pretend that people won't take your guns away.
And why would this make any difference? Voting for this is not going to influence the Supremes and they are the ones that will rule.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
SCOTUS should be reading the Constitution, not USA Today!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Bill, the media is so antigun I will never pass up an opportunity to give them my opinion. If the big HC is elected pres, LOOK OUT FOLKS! Renigeid

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BillD said:
And why would this make any difference? Voting for this is not going to influence the Supremes and they are the ones that will rule.
As my 12 year old would say: Well Duh

Never the less, we have the opportunity to show other Americans, and the press, what we really believe. This is the type of thing that sends a message to others. There are many gun owners who are ashamed of the revolver they have tucked away in the closet. There are many non-gun owners who think that we won't fight for our rights. There are many on the fence who probably believe the media. This vote is not going to influence the Supreme Court in any way, nor is it intended to do so. But what it may do is show people around the nation that gun owners do exist, we are their neighbors and friends, and we believe we not only have the right to our guns, we believe that we reserve the right to prevent the government from regulating our right.

So for those of you who choose to sit tight lipped and not vote, consider the OTHER people your vote may influence. Rather than sit and claim that the SCOTUS will not be influenced by polls like this, why not use these polls as a way of influencing your neighbors, your local politicians, the press, and anyone else who may see this and let them realize that we are strong in numbers and we are normal people who happen to own guns and are not ashamed of it. Why not use the press to our advantage? The press regularly paints us badly, let us paint them badly by showing an overwhelming force in this poll, and others of similar nature?

Or sit back and criticize those who actively try to protect your rights, even in small ways.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bill, the media is so antigun I will never pass up an opportunity to give them my opinion. If the big HC is elected pres, LOOK OUT FOLKS! Renigeid

The VERY ISSUES you people are commenting on - is EXACTLY WHY
we have a second amendment in the first place.

·
Registered
725 Posts

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.”
--- Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
USA Today is a Liberal, Left Wing rag.

That Poll will go in the trash can at the end of the day and never be heard from again. That's not the result they want to hear.

Now, if 97% of people say NO to the individuals right to keep and bear arms,
then that poll would be on the front page tomorrow. CNN would grab it and
do a week long news report on it. It would be waved in front of the
Supreme Court and tossed all around Congress like the Gospel truth.

That poll means nothing!!!

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
melensdad said:
As my 12 year old would say: Well Duh

Never the less, we have the opportunity to show other Americans, and the press, what we really believe. This is the type of thing that sends a message to others. There are many gun owners who are ashamed of the revolver they have tucked away in the closet. There are many non-gun owners who think that we won't fight for our rights. There are many on the fence who probably believe the media. This vote is not going to influence the Supreme Court in any way, nor is it intended to do so. But what it may do is show people around the nation that gun owners do exist, we are their neighbors and friends, and we believe we not only have the right to our guns, we believe that we reserve the right to prevent the government from regulating our right.

So for those of you who choose to sit tight lipped and not vote, consider the OTHER people your vote may influence. Rather than sit and claim that the SCOTUS will not be influenced by polls like this, why not use these polls as a way of influencing your neighbors, your local politicians, the press, and anyone else who may see this and let them realize that we are strong in numbers and we are normal people who happen to own guns and are not ashamed of it. Why not use the press to our advantage? The press regularly paints us badly, let us paint them badly by showing an overwhelming force in this poll, and others of similar nature?

Or sit back and criticize those who actively try to protect your rights, even in small ways.

Easy big fellow, we are on the same side. I was refering to this in your OP.

You stated this as if this was going to change things. It won't. I have voted on dozens of these types of polls.
Never made the first bit of difference. Folks that don't want you to have guns to protect yourself are the kind of people that think hunting should be banned and are ready to give up rights for a "feeling" of security.
You don't change their minds because they aren't thinking about it. It's all feeling for them.

Truth is, people won't take our guns away. We will have to give them up. If we should ever have a gun grab where they actually start going door to door, I think enough "crazies" will resist and enough LEO's and crazy families will get shot, that it won't last.

Sort of a mini-revolution.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Captain America said:
It does mean that USA Today didn't get the result they may have hoped for, in a big way. So, logical people that pay attention to such things prevented them, as you point out, from trumpeting an anti-gun response.

Thanks, Melensdad, for posting the link.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Captain America said:
USA Today is a Liberal, Left Wing rag.

That Poll will go in the trash can at the end of the day and never be heard from again. That's not the result they want to hear.

Now, if 97% of people say NO to the individuals right to keep and bear arms,
then that poll would be on the front page tomorrow. CNN would grab it and
do a week long news report on it. It would be waved in front of the
Supreme Court and tossed all around Congress like the Gospel truth.

I agree with everything you stated except your last sentence. Of course, the Supremes won't see or consider the results. But preventing the liberal press from having a field day is a good enough reason for me to vote.

Hankster

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Am I supposed to vote no on this poll?

The question is, "Does the Second Amendment GIVE individuals the right to bear arms?"

Why dont the idiots at USAToday.com go take a civics class.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anybody else posting this on other forums?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Mus said:
Am I supposed to vote no on this poll?

The question is, "Does the Second Amendment GIVE individuals the right to bear arms?"

Why dont the idiots at USAToday.com go take a civics class.
Good point. Unfortunately, the average couch potato and soccer mom these days thinks exactly that, as in the Constitution grants us our rights.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ferretray said:
Blah, blah, blah. Just friggin' vote already!
I have long done that already chief:cool:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.”
--- Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787)."

I only wish this were true today as it were 220 years ago.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts