1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks, a buddy of mine just gave me 2000 CCI small magnum pistol primers he can't return to the store. Thought I'd use it for my .40 S&W reloads. I read in CCI's website that it's okay to use magnum primers but with adjustment to the powder charge. It says not to go more than the minimum charge using magnum primers. My question is has anyone here used magnum primers and how much less of your powder did you use? Also, what problems have you encountered with it? FYI I use Longshot powder which generates less pressure compared to other powders. I just can't not use these primers :D Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whoa I reloaded like 1000 rounds of .45 acp with magnum primers and used a medium load (5.6 gr of 231 I think)... I guess those were giving off a crap ton of muzzle flash and weren't very accurate. They really did seem to be less accurate with the magnum primers.

So that is a bad idea?

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
specifics

CAN BE good; can be fer-crap, too.

Testing required (40 S&W accuracy load hint from retired ammo-maker --no, not me: 200g FMJ, W231, SPM, OAL 1.130", be careful).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts