1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering for what purpose do most people use their 1911's. Carry, target, home defense, other?

Mine is mainly for home defense and target.

Thanks,

WJR

·
Registered
146 Posts
I cannot speak for most people, only for myself. I use the 1911 for all of the above: carry, home defense, and target. It works great on knocking over those pesky bowling pins and it is also comforting to carry it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The reason I got a 1911: bullseye shooting. You can make a 1911 more accurate than any other .45. If I were getting a big handgun just to protect my home or some such thing, it would probably be something else (not that there's anything wrong with a 1911 for that purpose).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I will only carry mine when camping or hiking. For urban carry and home defense I stick to my Beretta Elite II.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Baer TRS or Kimber for target, home defense (supplemented by 12-ga and AR) and carry. Kimber is my summer (sweat) gun, TRS starts getting carried as soon as the weather cools each year.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Colt 1991A1 with night sights for uniform duty, i cary it most of the time off duty, and if i don't have it i have my my new colt comannder.

the 1911 just happens to be a "one style of gun for everything". i know that for some its not, but i'm glad it is for me.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
625 Posts
I carry a custom Colt Commander most of the time. If I'm dressing light and don't care to wear a "concealment garment" then I'll grab my S&W J-frame or AMT Backup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I shoot for medicinal reasons in addition to the more common reasons. I work with computers for 40 hours a week for the last two years. I started coming down with carpal tunnel syndrome. Since I started shooting my .45 at least once a week all symtoms have gone away. I call it my weekly .45 caliber massage.

[This message has been edited by Tagawichin (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I use mine for all of the above. For target shooting there is no better auto pistol. A finely tuned trigger in a 1911 is hard to beat. As a daily carry gun no pistol makes me feel as adequately armed as a full size 1911 (Baer TR Special). The same TR Special augments my 12ga as a home defense pistol.

[This message has been edited by A Johnston (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tagawichin-

I never thought of a 1911 as a cure for CTS caused by keyboards, it's a great idea. I wonder if I can get my employer to pay for my .45 ammo? Range therapy

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was thinking of asking my doctor for a 1000rnd a week perscription (500 per hand). I wonder if Etna would let me get by with the $10 copay.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Now I think we're on to something! My wrists are suddenly hurting, just from typing this message. I'm off to the doc's to get my 1,000 round prescription...

/TCP

·
Registered
259 Posts
All my pistols are used for target shooting, including both 1911's.

For home defense, I like shotguns. They are big and easy to manipulate in the dark. They pack a huge wollop, and with the right loads, they rarely penetrate interior walls with enough force to significantly damage people on the other side.

My neighbor accidentally discharged his 1911 next door. The 230gr hydrashock went through his house and into mine. During its 25 yard flight, the bullet penetrated a door, two exterior, and two interior walls before lodging in a fifth wall. With liability issues these days, it gives a person something to think about, doesn't it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bullseye shooting. The idea of a citizen carrying a handgun in Canada to anywhere but a range is almost laughable. We are also required to keep our guns locked up with the ammunition stored separately where it is not convenient to the gun. I do want to get into PPC down the road as an additional game to play, but I'll need a progressive press!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use 1911's for all three most of the time. I primarily carry 1911's, a 4 inch gun in summer, and a full size gun the rest of the time. House gun duties are shared, between 2 Kimber 1911's, an HK USP, and a Glock 21. And I like to "target" shoot with everything in the safe... lol

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
What's the old saying. Something like "beware of the man with one well worn gun, he probably knows how to use it".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts