1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I dropped by a pawn shop on my way back from class this morning and low and behold they have a Desert Warrior. I've been thinking about buying one and, being close to Christmas, said "hey, just maybe I can sneak it past the girlfriend".

Well I talk to the owner and he quotes me $900 otd. I'm thinking "great!". Says it's "Used and in very good condition". He takes it out and I look at it...rust spots all over the barrel.

I ask him if he'll come down any on the price given that the barrel has thumb size rust prints all over it and he won't budge. I politely thank him for his time and walked out.

This has really turned me off to Kimbers, tbh. Given my own experience with my newer Compact CDP barrel rusting, a friend of mines Tactical Pro rusting (purchased in the last 6 months) and then this pistol showing the same. I have to ask myself:
What is going on at Kimber? Is their QC that bad now? What are they thinking?

The second pistol I purchased was a Kimber compact CDP II (with the external extractor) 4 years ago as my carry piece. I justified the money spent because they were excellent quality guns and, even with the external extractor, I believed that a large amount of the bad press they were getting was just hype. Now 4 years later, traded in my old reliable external extractor for an internal model and the barrel rusts when all my others are fine, and seeing that people I know are having similar problems, I don't think I can justify spending the money asked for them anymore.

Has Kimber really fallen so far?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
What does rust on used guns have to do with manufacturer's QC? Of course, I was under the impression that Kimber used stainless barrels, so rust still shouldn't be prevalent. Of course, people should maintain their guns.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RickB said:
What does rust on used guns have to do with manufacturer's QC? Of course, I was under the impression that Kimber used stainless barrels, so rust still shouldn't be prevalent. Of course, people should maintain their guns.

It seems to be a common occurrence in my experience with newer Kimbers. Mine rusted when all my other stainless pistols didn't (and I take very, very good care of my firearms), my friend who is equally ocd experienced the same thing, I've talked to other shooters on other forums who have had similar problems with newer Kimbers, and then this "new and in good condition" pistol had the same problems.

Now maybe on that Warrior the owner just treated it like crap. The rest of the gun looked to be in good shape and the bore was clean and well maintained, but who knows. I can't speak for a pistol out of my hands. What I can speak to is my experience with the newer ones and those of other people I know. There seems to be a pattern to newer Kimbers having barrels that rust very easily, even when excellent care is taken of them.

Seeing that Desert Warrior today just got me thinking about my own experience again and I started wondering if we're seeing another slip in Kimbers quality.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Only a few Kimber models have stainless barrels........which will still rust if not taken care of.

I see lots of rust on barrels of all kinds. When I ask the owner if they cleaned the gun after they used it last, I usually get an answer like......no, I just put it away after the last time.....about 2 months ago.

Finding rust on a used gun in a pawn shop and then making an internet post asking........what's wrong with the manufacturer is an example of trolling.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Kruzr said:
Only a few Kimber models have stainless barrels........which will still rust if not taken care of.

I see lots of rust on barrels of all kinds. When I ask the owner if they cleaned the gun after they used it last, I usually get an answer like......no, I just put it away after the last time.....about 2 months ago.

Finding rust on a used gun in a pawn shop and then making an internet post asking........what's wrong with the manufacturer is an example of trolling.
:rofl:

Even if stainless, what grade is it? Almost all SS will rust unless it's like 316 which I don't think could be used for a gun barrel, and even if so, it's so brittle......

I have a SS exhaust on my diesel truck. It has surface "rust" like stuff on it that is nothing but cosmetic. It's 409 SS. Bendable and will last a loong long time.

·
Banned
721 Posts
Kimber uses a much lower nickel content in their stainless (reduces the cost of manufacturing) therefore they tend to rust, and rust quite badly even right out of the factory box.

Every single stainless Kimber my dealer had on the shelves was rusting inside and out. They are new, never fired, right out of the box Kimbers.

This was unique to their Kimbers.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
How often does that dealer wipe down and oil the guns in his showcase? Does he wipe them off after letting a customer handle them?

FWIW, neither of the guns you show in those pictures have stainless barrels. The only Kimbers with stainless barrels are the Gold Matchs, Gold Combats and the Raptors.

The stainless steel used in guns contains NO nickel. That is an austenitic stainless steel you are thinking of.........a 300 series. What replaces carbon in 400 series stainless steels is Chromium. It's the iron content of the stainless that makes it rust.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
I treat all of my guns (stainless and non) the same, and have never seen a spec of rust on, or in the barrels. I shoot in the rain, as often as not, and still no rust. It sounds as if Kimber's steel is not only not stainless, but it's less rust-resistant than carbon steel? Just sitting in a display case, it rusts?

·
Banned
721 Posts
All the guns at my dealer get the exact same treatment. They are wiped with a lightly oiled cloth after a showing, or at the end of the day they wipe them all down.

Regardless, the only guns to consistently rust are the Kimbers. Not a single Colt, Dan Wesson, Springfield, or Taurus 1911 they have in stock (and there's a lot of them) have rust on them. But every Kimber does in various degrees.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RickB said:
I treat all of my guns (stainless and non) the same, and have never seen a spec of rust on, or in the barrels. I shoot in the rain, as often as not, and still no rust. It sounds as if Kimber's steel is not only not stainless, but it's less rust-resistant than carbon steel? Just sitting in a display case, it rusts?

That was my thought. I never had this problem on my previous Kimbers, which were purchased 4 years ago, only on the one purchased within the last year. Obviously something has changed. There hasn't been a time in my life when I can remember not knowing how to properly maintain my firearms. I was always taught that a man takes care of his tools. When I would get done riding all day the first thing I'd do is see to my horse, when I would get home from hunting or shooting the first thing I'd do is clean my weapons, etc. It's just one of those things.

My Compact CDP II is the only firearm I've ever owned thats shown a spot of rust.

I'm just wondering if maybe Kimber is cutting corners to increase their profit margin. I've been looking hard at buying a Desert Warrior but if that means I'm going to pay $1100 for the gun and then another $180 for a new barrel I'll just take my money somewhere else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First question is - was it pitted, or just surface rust.

If it was just surface rust, go back and buy it... on the way home pick up some steel wool and CLP. After 10 or 15 minutes of proper care it will be gone forever.

Seriously, a little surface rust is nothing to freak out about. Pitting is another issue alltogether. Chances are since this was a pawn shop, the owner never cleans the guns and they just sit there for months with no maintanance.

Personally, all my guns get wiped down with a silicone cloth once a week and a full teardown and cleaning once a month if they are not fired.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Escher said:
First question is - was it pitted, or just surface rust.

If it was just surface rust, go back and buy it... on the way home pick up some steel wool and after 10 or 15 minutes of proper care it will be gone forever.

Seriously, a little surface rust is nothing to freak out about. Pitting is another issue alltogether. Chances are since this was a pawn shop, the owner never cleans the guns and they just sit there for months with no maintanance.

Personally, all my guns get wiped down with a silicone cloth once a week if they are sitting and a full teardown and cleaning once a month if they are not fired.

It was pitted. Had it been just a matter of taking some rubbing compound to it and cleaning it I'd have dropped the cash right there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed. I probably would have walked as well. It all depends on how good the price is, if you can't offset the cost of a new barrel, then its not worth it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nothing new.....nothing to worry abuot....

Folks,
I've been shooting Kimber 1911's since they first started shipping them. I current have 3 "Series 1" guns.....and have owned 3 others. They ALL have had Carbon Steel barrels.....you know just like the LES BAER barrels:rolleyes:

Nothing new, nothing slipping, no conspiricy to improve the company bottom line. Same ol barrels that have built Kimber reputation for great out of the box accuray.

That being said, Swartz safeties are the spawn of the Devil, and Democratic Party Plot:grumble:

·
Registered
753 Posts
No rusty Kimber 1911s here... Also no Rusty SA or Colt 1911s.... Of course I only bought my first 1911 in '73.. There is a Colt 38 SUper 1911 in the safe that displays evidence of rusting long before I bought it.

·
Banned
758 Posts
Big news flash here guys,.... steel rusts! :dope:
Keep your gun clean with a light coat of oil, or just keep it dry and you're fine, gimme a break........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Holy Guacamole....if you take care of your guns they will not rust...if you do not then they may even if they are supposed to be stainless...stainless simply means rust resistant not rust proof...if the dealer has rusting problems then he has faulty storage and maintenance practices...it is certainly not the fault of the manufacturer...just more Kimber bashing which is unwarrented...

·
Banned
758 Posts
Sorry, just had to add another 2 cents here, I own Colts but my two best buddies have Kimber customs, they have never shown the first sign of rust and we are in the wet pacific north west, the rust I saw in previous posts was nominal at best and showed a complete lack of oiling of any kind.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts