1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was browsing a pawn shop today and ran across a Para Tac Four .45 high cap in OD Green (I think that is what is called the spec ops finish).

I just briefly looked it over so I didn't notice if it was pre PXT or not, but I believe it was. Came with the case, two high cap mags, and all the stuff that was in the case to include the Para video still in the plastic wrapper.

The guy wants $599 for it. What should I look for other than the normal stuff (crown, barrel, etc.)? I am not that familiar with Para's and don't own one right now but that LDA trigger on this Tac-Four sure felt sweet. If this is a decent deal and I can't find anything wrong with the pistol, is this a good price?

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions. This forum really is a great help to folks like me trying to make sense of all the different .45 platforms out there. :D :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Warlokke:

I have one - circa 2004. Bought it new for about $900.

Shoots fine....

I fought a bad slide stop for a long time but that's largely because I was too stubborn to ship the thing back to Para.

The pre-ban magazines (usually black) tend to have weak springs. From what I'm hearing, the current "silver" post-ban mags are fine. IAC Wolff has the necessary replacement springs for something like $10 for three of them.

Mine came with a ten-round "silver" and two black pre-ban 13's. (I had to tell the dealer that their distributor had screwed up and not included both 13's.) The 10 was reasonably reliable, even with the bad slide stop. The 13's were terrible, and not a lot better with the Wolffs. Once I replaced the slide stop (George Wedge at Para sent me one), the original springs became almost reliable! I ended up putting the Wolffs in anyway, 'cause I had 'em.

Other than that, no problems I didn't cause.... Some of the black has come off of some of the small external parts, and the finish shows a little holster wear. I added Pearce "finger groove" grips and an arched MSH, but that's just me.

If you like the color (I took a lot of ribbing - that was kinda new at the time), it's a fine gun. You have to like the LDA too of course - it's not your father's Browning....

DO NOT (well, it's really a YMMV thing) try to make non-Para magazines work. I have a couple of Mec-Gar 10's that I finally beat into submission by adding Wolff springs and Para followers. $50 for Para mags. $30-ish for the Mec-Gars, but by the time I bought the other goodies I had about $45 in each one.... Some guys can work the slide stop (or follower) with a file a bit and get lucky.

(The Mec-Gar follower would end up about 0.005" to the right of where it should be, and not engage the stop. BOTH of them.... Otherwise they shot fine. They work a bit better now :D....)

Para's Customer Service seems to be superb. They've certainly been helpful to me.

You're going to hear some "Para's are junk" and such. I don't agree.... :biglaugh:

(I have two, and a third on the way.)

Para guns have ramped barrels. If nobody's "helped" that should be a non-issue, as long as it's clean. Barrel issues are otherwise normal for a 1911. LDAs have odd actions, but Ted did a good job. If it'll dry-fire it shoud be OK. Most of the internal parts that aren't part of the ignition system are standard 1911. The PXT can be identified by a quarter-inch (roughly) diameter tube instead of about 3/16" and usually they put a big "PXT" on the side.... I like 'em.... DO NOT pull the hammer back to cock the gun. Use the slide. It can break a little bitty spring in there that's not a lot of fun to swap.

(Older LDA guns have "real" hammers - newer ones have the flat hammer. Since the gun must be carried Condition One if you want a round chambered, the thing will fit all Condition One capable leather with a top strap. The strap just goes over the hammer instead of between the hammer and the slide.)

Para is using Colts drop-safety scheme (Series-80). I wish they wouldn't, but it's generally reliable. Don't get me started on Kimber's Swartz system.... I refuse to recommend removing it, but it's easy to do.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Chuck:

Hadn't thought about that....

Mine was in the black & white box, though, and does have the PXT....

I bought it before May of 2004. No idea when the dealer got it. George asked me for the SN when it popped that extractor about a year and a half later (over-the-top reload, apparently), and said that I had one that was made after problems with the PXT prompted better testing on that part.... I don't remember if he told me when it was made or not - late 2003, I'd guess.

('Course, my dealer's got a huge inventory, and occasionally stuff percolates to the top of the pile....)

Warlokke:

The PXT, if that gun has it, is one of the best and worst features of the Para guns. If you get a good one (it should break in the first 500 or so rounds if it's not), they really work very well, and no tuning should be required. It just works.... However, if you get a bad one, you're not going to find one at the corner gun shop.... Para will send you another one PDQ, usually, but it's not a lot of help at a match.... (The new one will be a drop-in. Because of the Colt drop-safety, it's a little tricky to install, but since you should be disassembling the slide anyway, every once in a while, for cleaning, it's not rocket science, either.)

Para's been real good about "second owner" help. I thought Brownells had the extractors, but can't prove it.

I'm told that Para will install a PXT in an older slide for about $100. I don't know if I'd bother, but.... They'll also install half-decent night sights for $100. (Technically, there's a coupon in the box with a new gun, but I think you'll get lucky if you ask.)

Regards,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stu, Chuck,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I am going back down there tomorrow after I go to the gun show in KC. If it is still there and I don't spend my money on something else at the gun show, I may pick it up.

The box was dark, not two tone, black or dark blue I think. I am pretty sure it didn't have the PXT but that is on my list to check for when I go back.

Once again, thanks again for the help and if you think of anything else by all means let me know.

Ken

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ken:

Para's newer boxes are a sort of Hunter Green and kinda big.

The safety in Chuck's picture, BTW, is the "low mount" aftermarket I mentioned someplace else. I've still been too cheap to try one, but he likes it a lot.

The BIG "PXT" is the giveaway - you kinda have to look at it to see it as saying "PXT", but....

Enjoy the gun show!

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts