1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local shop the other day and was looking at the new PT1911. They told me they actually had a used one in the back. So they brought it out and I looked it over. It has its to be expected wear marks from the light finish from the holster. But opening the slide up it looked like it had not been cleaned, atleast since the last use. They were asking $400 out the door. Also, they couldn't give me no gun history since the gentleman that took the gun in wasn't working.

What would you pay for a used one????
Think you could get away with $300 offer?
Does the warranty transfer from owner to owner?

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dealers price is about $450. I have one and am very satisfied with it. May have been traded in as person needed the money or bought a more expensive 1911. or may be there are problems with this particular one. After finding out why it was traded in or sold and it sounded ok I'd pay no more than $350. Just my humble opinon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate the reply. I just called, and the gentleman who took the gun in is off today also. He will be back in tomorrow, so I'll be giving him a call.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Dealers price is about $450. I have one and am very satisfied with it. May have been traded in as person needed the money or bought a more expensive 1911. or may be there are problems with this particular one. After finding out why it was traded in or sold and it sounded ok I'd pay no more than $350. Just my humble opinon.
The dealer that took it in paid 70% of book value if it was in 95% or better condition. I would use that to determine a fair offer if you really wanted the gun. It is a low end .45, but in all fairness, a friend who is very knowledgable owns one and he is pretty impressed with the gun for the price. I did find out that Taurus makes a lot of the MIM parts that STI uses, and that Taurus uses some STI parts in their guns. That said, I think buying a low end .45 may not be any more of the luck of the draw than buying a higher-end gun. The internals may be a little rough, and there could be some feed/extractor issues, but those are pretty easy to fix, and you take the same chance with a Kimber or Springer. The major problem, if it's going to pop up, will probably be the slide loosening up, and if it's going to do it it will be within a couple of hundred rounds. If this is your first 1911, just be aware that you may have to tune and tweak a little to get it running right, but that applies to any of them. I've seen Kimbers, Brown's and STI's with problems out of the box, so no one really gets a pass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if this matters to the situation. But, this gun dealer is pawn shop based. I called them a few months back in regards of trading off a gun for another. They told me they would only give you half of what they believed to be the total value of gun. So if I could sell it outright myself, it would be to my bennefit. If they have it priced at $400, do you think they only gave $200 for it??? So a offer of around $325-$350 they are making good money.

I still need to find out history tomorrow!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Chances are, if it's a pawn shop, then they gave no more than $250 for the gun. If it were me, I would pay the $400 IF they'd allow a 3-5 day grace period for you to return it if you didn't like it - they shouldnt mind that, it's used already, and if you return it, it'll still be worth the same to them.
Otherwise, without any kind of return period, I wouldn't pay more than $325 for it.
I also own a PT1911, I paid $490 for mine new, and am extremely pleased with it. It shoots just as good or better than my SW1911, SA Loaded, or any other 1911 I've shot (I've not shot any super high-end guns like Wilson, EB, or Les Baer).
Also, to the best of my knowledge, the warranty is NOT transferable. I remember that when I bought mine, I had to mail in the warranty card with a receipt within 10 days of purchasing my PT1911, and I remember seeing something about it being for the buyer only, not transferable.
Although, just because it doesn't have a warranty available to you, I wouldn't let that bother me, as Taurus' warranty plan is CRAP anyways. If my PT1911 was to break, I'd fix it myself, with upgraded parts, before sending it to Taurus and waiting months and months to get it back.
Take the gun apart at the shop. Check to make sure the locking lugs, bushing, chamber, etc, has no visible wear, or scuff marks on anything. Since you say it's dirty, I'd bring along a can of break free and a rag to see what's hiding under the grime. Also check to make sure that the hammer doesn't follow on you.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me about buying used guns will step in and tell you what to look for. I try not to buy any used guns, as I have my own religious barrel break-in procedure that I like to perform on my guns. I won't buy used unless I know the owner, and know the gun's history and can get it for next to nothing. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No information on the gun! The guy was hard up for money and he pawned it away. Thats all he could tell me. They held it for the guy for 4 months. And it has been up for sale for about a week and a half.

·
Registered
647 Posts
For $400 it would be worth it (you can try to bargain them down). At worst, you have a lifetime warranty that follows the gun around, and Taurus will (eventually) make it right. Or you could just have a gunsmith tweak it and upgrade internal parts. It seems like the Taurus frame and slide would be a good base to build up if it doesn't already perform well.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'd pass on it if I couldn't get it for around $350. Otherwise I'd, save for a new 1911. I see these going in the $500 range. So, say $175 off a 1911 that could be had for $575 new? I'd save the $175 and get a new one. But a $225 saving, now that might be worth while.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89391522 Buy now is $529

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get a new one at this same shop for $510 plus tax, so roughly $540 out the door or I can drive down to Buds Gun Shop and get the railed version for $530 plus tax. I have the money now to buy new, but If this one was worth while, I could have some extra cash for holster, mags, etc

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Fire Medic, Where's the fire? Don't rush it and look at others out there like the Springfield "Mil-Spec" or "Loaded model". Springfields are a heck of a gun without the "passive" safety stuff and have far better service/warranty work at similar prices.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
I would pass on a Taurus even if it were brand new for $500. SA's base guns will run circles around a PT for almost the same price...and thats where the similarities end...SA's forgings and dedication to making a 1911 just like JB intended (true milspec dimensions and lines) are far more attractive than saving a hundred bucks here or there....I'd pass BIGTIME on a USED PT let alone new. New ones I've held still leave alot to be desired.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I wouldn't buy that used PT for $400 if you can get a new one for $519! What a rip. Get the new one. Was this used gun owned by somebody famous?

I'm not looking to start any arguments with PT owners. I own a few 1911s and DevilDave makes good some points. Springfield hands down has the best customer service. If you bought a used Springer it is covered for the life of the gun and it doesn't matter if you bought it used. If there is something wrong you can send it back and they will take care of you. I broke one panel to a set of grips on my SS MilSpec. I called Springfield and got a real person on the line first thing, not some recording. I was prepared to buy new ones. Springfield covered it! They didn't send me one grip panel but both to make sure they would match. A guy started a thread in the Springfield section where he had dropped his brand new Springer on the highway. He was riding a motorcycle and it fell out of his backback. It was a mess after being run over multiple times by the time he was able to circle around and get it. Springfield took it and their shop was able to make it "good as new" at no cost! You should see the before and after pictures. Incredible. My latest 1911 was a blackened SS Springfield Loaded. So before you buy that used PT. Think about what you might have to do if you have any problems. I too would recommend a Springfield any day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
$400 out the door vs. $560 for new one including tax?

Sounds like a good deal to me if the gun is in excellent condition. I seem to have almost as many issues with new guns vs. used ones. And shipping a gun is so much of a PITA I rather fix them myself it at all possible.

And here is the kicker, whether you buy a new one or that used one, when it comes time to sell it, they will command exactly the same price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I paid $479 for mine the cheepest I have seen them since then is $500 at a gun show. Dont let someone tell you taurus is crap because he held one. what a joke. I have put 2000 rds through mine without a single malfunction. I put it in a ransom rest and it grouped sub 1.5" groups with target ammo that I loaded myself. Two thousand rounds and the slide is nice and tight no rattles. Check out a few other forums M1911 forum has a section dedicated to the Pt1911. Anyone who dogs the Pt1911 you may notice has never owned one. Heck I would be a little ticked if I shelled out two to three times as much and got the equlivant gun. Lifetime warrenty-How many companies offer that?

Basicly dont let someone else decide for you it will be your gun. Personally I like new guns so I know what they have been through but I would not pass up a good deal on a used one if it looked to be well taken care of. I would buy it for $375 out the door including tax in a second as long as it looked like the gun would clean up.

Oh yeah one more thing the finish on the taurus is a little weak but it is not a mantle peice either. But it will do everything you ask of it. I trust mine enough to carry it concealed and know that it will not let me down if God forbid I ever had to use it in that way.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I can get a new one at this same shop for $510 plus tax, so roughly $540 out the door or I can drive down to Buds Gun Shop and get the railed version for $530 plus tax. I have the money now to buy new, but If this one was worth while, I could have some extra cash for holster, mags, etc
So... what did you decide after all the free advice? Did you buy the used PT a new PT or something else?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I paid $479 for mine the cheepest I have seen them since then is $500 at a gun show. Dont let someone tell you taurus is crap because he held one. what a joke. I have put 2000 rds through mine without a single malfunction. I put it in a ransom rest and it grouped sub 1.5" groups with target ammo that I loaded myself. Two thousand rounds and the slide is nice and tight no rattles. Check out a few other forums M1911 forum has a section dedicated to the Pt1911. Anyone who dogs the Pt1911 you may notice has never owned one. Heck I would be a little ticked if I shelled out two to three times as much and got the equlivant gun. Lifetime warrenty-How many companies offer that?

Basicly dont let someone else decide for you it will be your gun. Personally I like new guns so I know what they have been through but I would not pass up a good deal on a used one if it looked to be well taken care of. I would buy it for $375 out the door including tax in a second as long as it looked like the gun would clean up.

Oh yeah one more thing the finish on the taurus is a little weak but it is not a mantle peice either. But it will do everything you ask of it. I trust mine enough to carry it concealed and know that it will not let me down if God forbid I ever had to use it in that way.
Amen, and double ditto.

I have over 800 rounds through my Blued PT1911 and I love it so much that I brought home a new sibling in stainless (PT1911SS) so it wouldn't get lonely. As for the finish, mine has held up better than I first expected. Before anyone says anything, she's no safe queen, no sir. This one rides with me all day. Has been that way since March of 2007.

If you do decide to go used, just remember that the warranty follows the gun, not the owner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts