1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys !
Finally I own USGI WWII genuine ammo !

A friend of mine found them near Anzio landing site, few km south west Rome, where US troops landed in January 1944 and standing under German fire until May - June 1944.
Finally, June 7th, 1944 the 168° Rgt. 34th Infantry Div. arrived here in Civitavecchia, where I was born 24 years later (1968).:biglaugh:

Now I'll put these ammo near my 1943 Garand and M1911A1.

See you !:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Pretty well preserved if they came out of the sand! What markings are on the brass? On a field exercise at Ft. Drum, NY digging a bunker with a CEE, a few friends and I unearthed several crates of old ammo that was buried, near the center most was still in pristine condition, unfortunately, we could keep any as range control recovered the ammo for EOD. Nice find for you though.:)

·
Administrator
79,364 Posts
You might want to write down a statement, including time and place you found it, and names of witnesses, and keep it with that ammunition. Some day it may have some significant interest to somebody doing archaeology at the site or to a militaria collector.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow, this brings back memorys. When I was a young lad, I would visit
Fort Pickens often with my parents in the summer, camping, fishing,etc.
We would find rounds (projectiles, cases) often. Sometimes I would find
a complete round (intact), but most often it was one half or the other.
Those were the days. I can only assume it was practice, or whatever
since I think the only action that fort saw was the Civil War, and I never
found any mini ball ammo. Wish metal detectors were allowed, but I guess
the whole damn place would be dug up.

·
Administrator
79,364 Posts
As a kid I always wanted to travel to Guadalcanal just to see what I might find in the jungles. Imagine all the things still left strewn about, rusting away. Of course, if I ventured there all I'd probably come back with is insect bites and a strange rash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A man I work with went to Guadalcanal about 25 years ago. His description of the place has me wanting to go there also. Back then it was a self guided tour but now there are guiding services to take you out on the beaches and into the jungles to see the equipment left behind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice find!

Spent a few days checking out the Normandy D-day beaches in Jan 2001. Hoped we might find something on the beach or even in a shop but no luck, nothing was open that time of year, except in Sainte Mère Eglise (D-day paratrooper landing site)
There was this one shop we went in that looked to have all kinds of WWII memoibila or so we thought! A closer look, ended up being only props (pretty good ones) for the 'Band of Brothers' HBO series... For a second, thought I found a gold mine..

Rick

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I was stationed on Okinawa I did a little bit of scouting around both above water and below. I wound up with some .50 ammo with 1944 headstamps found near my barracks and quite a bit of the same caliber found under water just off the Sunabe Seawall on the reef. Interesting to note, one of the rounds found underwater was bent like it was a double feed cracking the case and exposing the powder to seawater. Well I took it back to the barracks and dried it out for a few hours, lo and behold it still burned. The most unique find that I came home with is an actual projectile with japanese writing on it. One of the locals told me the symbols meant "90" and "east". Maybe from the type 90 machine gun? Took me forever to get all the coral off it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
much like Rick500 - I was in the Normandy area (all over the various beaches, villages, etc.....that's a longer story) and while walking the sands at Utah Beach I had a thought of how great it would be to find a "wash up" in the sand. About 2 seconds later I found a very large (football size) piece of undetermined rusted steel - I chose to leave it alone, but when I tossed it back down, it uncovered a tarnish, but still servicable .30-06 round. It is now proudly displayed in a shadow box with photos from the beach and is one of my most treasured possessions. The gift store was open for us and sells these rounds for close to $80 each I guess......they had a few rusted rifles for sale also.......

·
Administrator
79,364 Posts
You never really know how much of that stuff in the gift shop really came from Normandy. At least by finding a rifle round in the sand you can be pretty much assured it was there (maybe dropped on June 6, maybe days later when all the equipment came ashore, but it was still there...).

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
exitwounds said:
Pretty well preserved if they came out of the sand! What markings are on the brass? On a field exercise at Ft. Drum, NY digging a bunker with a CEE, a few friends and I unearthed several crates of old ammo that was buried, near the center most was still in pristine condition, unfortunately, we could keep any as range control recovered the ammo for EOD. Nice find for you though.:)
What kind of ammo was it? Did any of these creates happen to be .30-06 for the M-1 Garand? Just curious about how long this stuff can last under those conditions.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Robert Hairless said:
What kind of ammo was it? Did any of these creates happen to be .30-06 for the M-1 Garand? Just curious about how long this stuff can last under those conditions.
I believe it was .30-06 or .308, simply because in the same bivouac area my unit uncovered several M1 clips and grenade bodies that were the type launched by M1's. That was in the mid 80's, and my understanding is Ft. Drum was used to train troops for WWII and other conflicts, so hard to say how long they may have been in the ground.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
Camp Grayling (MI) is full of this stuff.

When our units had to clear the training areas before the post would release them to leave for home station the range guys used to insist we pick up all the M1 clips and other trash left from units over the past 50 years! Not exactly historical, but the stuff is pretty long lived.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
In 1986, I participated in a mass re-enlistment with the 5th Marines on Mt. Suribachi at the flag raising memorial. What struck all of us was the sheer amount of expended ammo and shrapnel that was everywhere. Everything from .45 to 75MM rounds were all over. Not to mention huge amounts of equipment, I was interested to examine a US flamethrower that appeared to be complete. In the tunnels were alot of Japanese equipment such as cases of grenades, racks of Arisaka rifles with bayonets attached, and light and heavy machine guns.Of course everything was rusted, but virtually untouched since the battle. On Okinawa, we would almost routinely find expended ammo and occasionally unexploded ordnance that EOD would dispose of. By Camp Foster, during some construction, a Jap bunker was found, complete with its 3 last defenders......it was surmised that the bunker was either bulldozed or shut with explosives as it was untouched.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Headstamps

Hi guys.
Headstamps are as follows:

.30-06's:

2 rounds; TW 42
1 round; SL 43
1 round; LL 43
1 round; DEW 42
2 round; LC 43 (Lake City!)
1 round; OM 42

.45 ACP's:

4 rounds; R A 42 (Raritan Arsenal ?):scratch:
4 rounds; W.R.A. 45 A.C. (Winchester, but no year stamped):scratch:
1 round; F A 42 (Frankford Arsenal):)

Any suggestion is welcome.

Fabione
Italy

kxk said:
Fabione,
Very nice! What are the headstamps on the bullets?
Best Karl

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I was stationed in the Netherlands (late 1990's), I went metal detecting in the Ardennes and found 8mm and 30-06 ammo and of course lots of metal bits that I left. Very interesting, in a couple of areas you could see areas that were bombed out blasts, i.e. fire positions or where rounds hit, and I'd find bits of metal and chunks of old rusting metal....

It was fascinating to go and look inside the Siegfried Line with the tank traps and bunkers, most are gone, but some remain.

Ed

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also here there are many WWII places to see...

...Anzio, Cassino, Gustav and Gotic lines, War cemeteries and museums.
About one or two times per year we find WWII bombs unexploded (most launched by airplanes) and ammo too.
Five years ago, during a massive railway work, we found a 500 lbs. bomb launched by a B-17 FlyingFortress on May 14, 1943.
In that period (few months before the Sicily landing on July '43) many italian cities were bombed to "confuse" German-Italian commanders about the right allied invasion place.
Civitavecchia, my hometown, was first time bombed on May 14, 1943.
My mother born few days after, May 18, in Anguillara S. where my grandmother escaped after the bombing.....

See you !

66mustang said:
When I was stationed in the Netherlands (late 1990's), I went metal detecting in the Ardennes and found 8mm and 30-06 ammo and of course lots of metal bits that I left. Very interesting, in a couple of areas you could see areas that were bombed out blasts, i.e. fire positions or where rounds hit, and I'd find bits of metal and chunks of old rusting metal....

It was fascinating to go and look inside the Siegfried Line with the tank traps and bunkers, most are gone, but some remain.

Ed

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.