1911Forum banner

USGI barrel????

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  rworthin 
#1 ·
I have a like new blued .45 cal barrel and don't know its origin. Can anyone help. The barrel is unmarked except for the letter P on both sides of the lug underneath the barrel. It looks like the letters were marked after the bluing. If the barrel is held horizontal (parallel) to the ground the letter P would be standing upright with each P being at the back end (not the muzzle end) of the lug. No other marks. Is this some off-brand barrel or maybe a Singer that happened to be proof marked on both sides? Any ideas???? Bob

#4 ·
Pocketrocket, The letter is a P, not an F, and it was made by the same stamp on both sides. Sorry I can't post a photo, I'm not that far along with my new digital camera. Dana, the barrel markings are not in the web site usgi 1911 tripod (nor in Clawson or Harrison or anyone else that I have). The Ps (1/8' high) are much larger than those on my 1943 Colt or 1944 Ithaca barrels but the letters are the same size and shape as on a post WW II magnaflux M marked and parkerized barrel I have. The barrel I am asking about is blued, not parked. Any more thoughts? Bob

#8 ·
Ty, The underside of the barrel under the chamber, forward of the lugs to the barrel is smooth. The barrel in question slugs out to .452". All dimensions, the shape and contours are identical to the original barrel in my May 1943 Colt 1911A1. Even the coloring and depth of the bluing is identical. The only differences are the markings and the size of the letters P on the unknown barrel. This barrel does not match the machining contours of any of the 1911 Colt HP barrels I have, therefore I am assuming the barrel is not for a 1911 but is a 1911A1 barrel. Other than the size of the P the barrel does not match any descriptions of post WW II barrels I have seen or read about ( no M or C in a circle and it is blued, not parked). Thanks for your interest, Bob

#10 ·
Rob,

The barrel on the right in this photo is a WW1-era barrel. Note the lack of a "step-down" as Ty has said.

#11 ·
Ty and Dana, My barrel does have a step down just like Ty's photo and Dana's left side photo. It could very well be a currently commercially produced barrel for any .45. I have a couple of brand new, unblued, chrome .45 barrels that I bought about six months ago which have a P proof mark on the bottom just forward of the lugs. I was told these barrels were made in the US for a 1911A1 produced in the Philippines for sale in the US. I was told the US company made enough that they were also sold to the public through a gun parts store (The Dealer Warehouse in Modesto, CA). The blued barrel I have though, is identical to the WW II barrels and blued the same so I thought it just might be a WW II replacement barrel rather than a modern replacement. Again, thanks for your help. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.