1911Forum banner

USGI replacement barrel question

18K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  exitwounds 
#1 · (Edited)
Do any of you know the manufacturer of this M1911A1 USGI replacement barrel? It is marked .45 Auto, 7791193, 85. I know that '85 is the year of manufacture. I have this barrel from my days as a small arms repairmen in the Reserve. I used several of these type barrels to replace old worn out barrels that did not headspace well - no go's. They are chrome lined, and were shipped in cosmoline wrappers. I also have another barrel with all the same markings except 92 instead of 85.

#3 · (Edited)
update

I have gotten some info from an old Army Buddy. "7791193" is the part # for the barrel and the FSCM# is 19204. FSCM (Federal Supply Code for Manufacture) is a five digit numeric code (19204) listed in SB-708-42 which is used to list the manufacture or government agency. 19204 matches up to Rock Island Arsenal,IL mfg.. The new NSN is 1005-00-722-3849. And the 86 and 92 stamp in this case are the year of manufacture. The 92 barrel has the TZ struck over where the N was and has an 03 stamped before the P. I wonder how IMI got a USGI barrel contract in the US? The part# 7791193 is listed on page 9 of TM-9-1005-211-35 Change 4 dated 25 FEB 1976.

#7 ·
update

I received an email from an old Armorer friend who tells me that the "M" and "N P" are inspectors markings. He says that the part #7791193 is a USGI replacement barrel part # and the contract was as early as 1975. Most pre 1985 barrels were made by Colt. The 1986 example I have was most likely made in the USA and sent to the Israeli Military to fill a contract order and stamped TZ by them. And as mentioned to me from another member, he said Rock Island Arsenal used various vendors to fill military contracts and most likely was not the manufacture. I traded the 1986 barrel for some 1911 parts and kept the 1992 barrel. Comments welcome!

#9 ·
buy a barrel

I have not been able to locate any on the internet? A friend of mine that is in the Marine Corp and stationed at Quantico told me they don't use any 1911A1's anymore nor do they have any parts for them. He shoots at a local range and bought a barrel on Ebay just like mine brand new for $40. He said the seller lists them frequently and the seller's ID is trapper63. You might want to give that a shot.

#10 ·
more info

I got this information from an old friend who works at the Tobbyhanna Army Depot, and responded to my inquiry with this information. According to him the barrels were made by Colt, and also sold to US Allies.
TACOM NSN 1005-00-722-3849 BARREL,PISTOL, .45 AUTO PART NO. 7791193 UNIT PRICE $24.19 EA MFG. COLT FIREARMS (OBSOLETE)

#11 ·
Israeli Military Industries was MAKING .45 parts for a while, supposedly. IMI-made National Match uppers in USGI wrappers were in the SGN for a brief time, and I've seen a lot of IMI .45 brass laying around. I've even gotten issued IMI made 5.56mm ammo twice at ranges. There have been some Israeli .45 clones, so it kinda makes sense.

Maybe we're getting it in trade for F-16 parts?

#12 ·
Thanks

I did not realize that the military accepted foriegn contractors. Back in '85 Beretta was required to establish a US based factory for production of the M9, which it eventually did by building a facility in Accakeek, MD. I never ran across any foriegn made parts that I was aware of as an Armorer in the Reserve, and never saw an M9 until a month before I ETS'd out. While serving with the 30th Engr Bn (Topo) in '85, my issued sidearm was a parkerized Colt 1917 .45 ACP and only officer's and NCO's had the 1911A1's. I guess as times change, so does the military, outsourcing! Thanks for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.