1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't find any Magtech brass .410 cases for love nor money, so I bought .444 Marlin cases instead. I did have to thin down their case-heads by 1-thou' (measured) to get the action of my SxS to close fully on them - done by hand on a flat with 220-grit sandpaper to test fit as I went:

The next 49 I did on a belt-sander - not quite as pretty but it's fast and works just fine. My reasons for using brass cases are 1) I can use LP primers 2) the brass cases take ages to wear out, unlike plastic hulls and 3) they just look cool.

Wad and shot before covering with a card:

Fun with red and translucent shot-cards, topped with hot glue:

The sequence, for interest's sake, is:

1. Powder-charge (12.8 gr L'Il Gun)
2. Over-powder wad (cut from cardboard with a 7/16" punch - this lessens the amount of gas bypassing the shot-cup to cause a blooper) and pushed down firmly with a 3/8" wooden dowel
3. Claybusters red wad/shot-cup seated firmly with the dowel
4. 1/2 oz #8 shot
5. Over-shot card (again, cut from cardboard and a milk-jug with a 7/16" punch)
6. Hot glue. My first (not shown) was sealed with Elmer's white glue but it seems to shrink a lot on drying, resulting in a concave shape inside the case-mouth. Hot glue looks a lot more attractive.

I didn't need any reloading equipment other than an electronic scale and a handheld priming-tool. Next up will be testing these.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't yet know - these should be fairly low pressure so I'm hopeful I won't have to resize them at all. I'll find out after I shoot a few test rounds.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tested out the .410 loads through a chronograph today.

Chrono set up:

First 4 shells done:

Results:

The first shot was a deliberate test of a shell with no over-powder card; I was curious to see whether the red Claybusters was a good enough seal by itself. Obviously not, so cards will have to be used.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Looks good and you still have all your fingers so that makes it a success. How was the accuracy and shot pattern?

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Accuracy was fine - still analyzing the pattern through the Full choke (which looks pretty damn big to me).

Ah, here we go - I realized taking a photo of the back and at an angle would show shadows of the holes better. Shot-pattern at 20 yards through the Yildiz alleged Full choke:

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Accuracy was fine - still analyzing the pattern through the Full choke (which looks pretty damn big to me).
Good stuff as always!

The silver lining is that it's an awesomly uniform spread! Most chokes have a "hole" somewhere and yours doesn't show it. Maybe the choke is mismarked? Did you try the mod, just to see if the full was off?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Great idea. I just checked the measurements for each (.410 Bore and .444 Marlin) and they are so close it's a natural. depending on what length you chamber is no case trimming is needed. Rim thickness needs only to be reduced 0.003" +/- (depending on your chamber), base has only 0.0006" difference, and the neck only 0.002". I'll wager the cases may not need resizing. The added pluss are really cool looking .410 rounds. It would be interesting see how they work in a Judge! :)

Reactions: AndyC

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the fired shells and they slide quite easily into both of my chambers, so they seem good-to-go and won't need any resizing.

As for the load, I'll up the powder-charge to to 13.0 gr L'il Gun and try to hit the factory 1,200 fps mark.

I've also emailed Yildiz in Turkey to ask about getting a couple more chokes, including an Extra-Full if they make such a thing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is sort of off topic, but I have made black powder shotshells for 45 Colt from .444 Marlin cases...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rim thickness needs only to be reduced 0.003" +/- (depending on your chamber), base has only 0.0006" difference, and the neck only 0.002". I'll wager the cases may not need resizing. The added pluss are really cool looking .410 rounds. It would be interesting see how they work in a Judge!
Knowing some one with a collet setup on a metal lathe would really speed up the the case modifications.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts